Director of Electrical Engineering
Los Gatos, CA /
Satellite Engineering /
At E-SPACE, we believe space should be accessible to everyone, from the visionaries discovering our future in space today to the countless generations of innovators to come. We are on track to build the world’s largest, most sustainable space-based network. Led by industry pioneers and backed by world-class investors, we are assembling a team of best-in-class aerospace, software, and materials engineers and scientists to make this vision a reality.
The Director of Electrical Engineering will lead the team that works on systems that enable the spacecraft to perform all operations necessary to facilitate the mission objectives and perform maintenance tasks for the spacecraft. You will design, implement, test, and support the bus electronics that flies the spacecraft from the moment of rocket tip off to delivering payload.
This role will be based in our Los Gatos, CA office. Come join the team of satellite systems experts and engineers that will deliver the e-space vision.
- Provide engineering expertise in design, development, and test of space hardened avionics hardware
- Duties include subsystem design and prototyping, schematic capture, prototype bring-up and debugging, hardware bug tracking, functional verification, and signal characterization
- Support design through production and test
- Perform schematic capture and layout for PCBs and hybrid designs.
- Reviews and ensures layouts and engineering circuit designs are error-free and meets customer requirements and specifications.
- Collaborate with electrical, software, RF, and mechanical teams.
- Fabrication and assembly package creation experience.
- Experience with component footprint.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Recommend new design techniques to ensure circuit reliability and quality.
- Ensure manufacturability and testability on circuit board design.
- Check and evaluates materials and components selected
- Utilize current techniques and maintain a working knowledge of governing industry practices, government standards and specifications.
- Strong emphasis on full lifecycle development of new hardware systems - not small incremental updates to legacy hardware
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Recruiting and leading the radio, RF, electronics hardware, and devices team to support and implement the end-to-end systems specifications.
- Investigate alternative technologies (proprietary & standards based) that may be a better fit and offer recommendations on their viability.
- Fully understand the pros and cons of various spectrum options that may be used in meeting the product requirements and offer recommendations on the best path
- Your team will model the performance characteristics of the hardware to ensure all system and product requirements are met.
- Analyze and recommend the proper mix of in-house design and build with out-sourcing some components and functions using off-the shelf (OTS) equipment.
- You will build and lead the team to design, build, test, and deploy the system on the ground and then in space.
- You will provide detailed power budgets, link budgets and performance requirements to meet the market and customer requirements.
- BS/MS/PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, or a closely related discipline
- At least 15 years of experience working on spacecraft electrical systems
While we offer amazing compensation with great stock options, annual pay, bonuses, free lunches, and health benefits, more importantly, you should join our team for the opportunity to grow personally, and have a high impact on the lives of millions of people. We love solving the hard problems, the rigor of deep engineering, bleeding-edge technology, and helping the world.