Programming Language Researcher
Ethereum Foundation – Solidity /
About the Ethereum Foundation
The Ethereum Foundation (EF) is a global non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Ethereum and related technologies. Our mission is to do what is best for Ethereum’s long-term success. Our role is to allocate resources to critical projects, to be a valued voice within the Ethereum ecosystem, and to advocate for Ethereum to the outside world.
Solidity is a statically-typed curly-braced programming language designed for developing smart contracts that run on Ethereum. In the coming years, we intend to build a new foundation for the language with a small, logically-grounded and verifiable language core on top of which higher-level functionality can be constructed definitionally. For this task, we are seeking both theoretical and practical contributions.
As part of the Solidity team, you will be working exclusively on open source software and technology, especially focussing on the Solidity language. You’ll collaborate in a rich learning environment that offers a high number of opportunities and possibilities to develop further within. You will become part of our truly international team that consists of specialists from all over the world and keep in touch with the latest academic research in the relevant area.
- Research on the long-term design and future iterations of the Solidity Language
- Support the development and maintenance of the Solidity Compiler
Required Skills and Experience
- PhD or Master degree in a hard science, e.g. computer science, mathematics or equivalent
- Strong background in formal logics, formal verification or type theory
- Familiarity with functional language paradigms
- Experience in language design or compiler implementation
- Experience with C++
- Ability to work in pair programming, critiquing and responsive to constructive feedback
- Familiarity and prior contributions to open-source projects
- You are a good communicator and team player. You know how to navigate within a lean, start-up like organization.
- You are solution and goal-oriented, resourceful while still keeping a flexible mindset. You take self-responsibility and initiative and possess a can-do attitude.
- You have an ownership mentality. When you take on a task, you get it done. You proactively troubleshoot problems blocking your path, and the problems blocking the paths of others.
- You're organized. You have strong habits that let you track multiple responsibilities simultaneously. You know how to scope a project, foresee difficulties and translate an idea into reality.
- You share Ethereum's values. You're passionate about the Open Source and/or Free Software movements and decentralization.
- You have cross-cultural expertise. You are experienced in working with international teams across various time zones.
- Optimally full-time position, part-time possible
- Flexible work and working hours
- Competitive compensation
- Option to work out of our Berlin (DE) office or remotely from anywhere in the world