Full-time Consultants (0-3 years of work experience): Asset Valuation
All Locations /
All teams /
Why You Should Join the E3 Asset Valuation Team
When you join the E3 Asset Valuation team, you will be working on some of the most important issues of the day with some of the best minds in the industry. At E3 we help shape energy and climate policy and develop cutting edge analytical tools that drives our insights across our diverse practice areas, many of which are leveraged in the work we do in our Asset Valuation practice to advise decision makers and inform investment and planning decisions. At E3, you will be challenged and inspired.
Who We Are
Founded in 1989, Energy + Environmental Economics (E3) is a fast-growing energy consulting firm that helps utilities, regulators, policy makers, developers, and investors make the best strategic decisions possible as they implement new public policies, respond to technological advances, and address customers’ shifting expectations. We have offices in San Francisco, New York City, Boston, and Calgary.
Because E3 works with clients from all sectors of the electricity industry, we provide a 360-degree understanding of markets, planning, policy, regulation, and environmental factors. Just as important, we are committed to delivering clear, unbiased analyses that help clients make informed decisions.
Asset Valuation at E3
E3’s asset valuation practice helps clients identify market opportunities, quantify future revenue streams, and make decisions about investments in new and existing power assets. Typical tasks for a consultant working in this practice include:
· Contributing to E3’s in-house forecast model for regional capacity and energy prices.
· Quantifying future revenue streams for small- and large-scale power projects. In addition to utility-scale power assets, E3 has supported investments in DER portfolios, electric vehicle infrastructure, utilities, and transmission projects.
· Benchmarking the performance, costs, and revenues of power plants against others in the same competitive class and/or region.
· Analyzing the resource portfolios and future needs of utilities and other power purchasers to identify potential offtake opportunities.
· Quantifying the potential market size for emerging energy technologies, such as offshore wind or long-duration energy storage.
· Developing regional policy and market overviews to inform clients’ capital allocation strategies and project development priorities.
E3’s clients include a diverse set of investors, independent power producers and project developers, and technology companies that span the electric power industry. E3 regularly supports the largest infrastructure investors and renewable developers in the world as well as smaller clients looking to commercialize and scale an ever-expanding set of new technologies and business models. Past projects include:
· Strategy development and transaction support for investments in commercial power plants (i.e., renewables, storage, and gas) plus more nascent technologies including multiple types of long-duration storage, microgrids, and offshore wind.
· Advising the South Carolina Department of Administration on the potential sale of Santee Cooper (publicly owned utility, ~$9 billion transaction)
· Market forecasting and valuation of vehicle-grid integration opportunities for global automotive OEMs
· Due diligence for an acquisition of an electric vehicle infrastructure company
· Advising the California Public Utilities Commission on Net Energy Metering (NEM) 3.0 design
· Buy-side diligence support for acquisition of a portfolio of residential solar assets (1 GW, 150K customers).
What Makes you a Good Fit?
We look for people who combine strong analytic skills with integrity and a passion for energy. Things that set you apart:
You believe it is essential to achieve a transition to a low-carbon economy and want to support the implementation of that transition with E3’s investor and commercial clients
You work collaboratively and support each member of your team to do their best work, aware that each brings different skills to the table.
You take ownership for your work, proactively seeking out answers to questions and enjoy finding creative solutions to issues you encounter.
You enjoy translating technical concepts to broader audiences.
E3 invests significantly in staff development and have developed our own internal 22 lecture training program as well as a specific Asset Valuation specific training course. We seek to hire Consultants who intend to stay with the company for at least 2 years.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, engineering, economics, or a related field
- Ability to write and communicate clearly
- Organizational and time management skills to work on projects that typically have a 3-8 week timeline
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Desire to work in a dynamic environment with 80+ other staff
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel; other programming skills such as Python and working with large data sets are also valued
- Demonstrated success managing analysis, ideas, and projects and a desire to continually work on different types of projects within our Asset Valuation team
E3’s Commitment to You
E3 provides abundant opportunities for professional growth. We’re highly collaborative, but everyone is encouraged to pursue their own areas of interest. Any team member may play a significant role in a project, and recent grads work alongside senior partners. We combine ongoing mentoring with a yearlong training program that prepares new hires to work independently.
E3 titles and compensation are commensurate with experience and performance. E3 also offers competitive, flexible benefits.
E3 will review submitted application materials on a rolling basis. We will hold phone and in-person interviews until all available positions are filled.
Finding new team members that are a good fit is important to us, so we spend significant time in our recruiting process evaluating candidates. We are mindful that some E3 candidates will apply for positions at other firms with an accelerated schedule for interviews and job offers. If you anticipate that you may need to know about E3’s decision on your candidacy by a specific date, please note the timing on your application page.
No phone calls please.