Data Scientist - Product Analytics
Finance – Data Science
Data scientists at Etsy use rigorous methods to generate insights that inform product, engineering, and business decisions across the company. We collaborate with partner teams through all stages of development: actively uncovering opportunity areas, crafting experiments to test hypotheses, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting takeaways.
Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job; we are always looking for opportunities to grow. Our mission is to guide our partner teams with data-driven insights and tell the story of how we attract and retain our users — to teams, to senior management, and to the community.
In this role, you would partner closely with our Ads team, whose focus is developing advertising products that empower Etsy sellers to reach new buyers and grow their businesses.
This role is located in Brooklyn, NY and is part of our Analytics and Strategic Finance team.
About the Role
- Transform raw data into impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance/documentation, rigorous techniques, and actionable recommendations.
- Partner with product, engineering, design teams; use behavioral and transactional data to shed light on our users and our product experience, identify areas for improvement, and drive decision-making.
- Identify actionable metrics to understand the performance of products, develop reporting dashboards to track progress, and ingrain these metrics into teams’ day-to-day decision-making.
- Lead experimentation, help teams set strong hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results.
- Continually evaluate and refine your technical toolkit; teach what you learn to the team.
- You have 2-4 years experience as an analyst or in a quantitative role in which you extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- You understand the principles of A/B testing, and love crafting and analyzing experiments.
- You are proficient in SQL and have familiarity with either R or Python. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem or additional scripting languages (Scala, PHP, Ruby, etc.).
- Experience with Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software a plus.
- You look for ways to advance your technical skill set and to apply new methods to impactful questions.
- You can communicate your insights verbally, visually, and in writing and care deeply about the quality and integrity of your work.
- You want to play a key role on a cross-functional team.
- You are a curious, independent, analytical thinker who enjoys thinking about and solving complex and nuanced problems.
- You care about reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end; you can teach others how to make their own work better and more efficient.
- You are passionate about subjects such as experimental design, data visualization, and statistical analysis techniques.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.