Product & Commercial Counsel
Legal – Legal
Etsy is seeking a talented product & commercial attorney to join its Legal team. This new position will be a key advisor to Etsy’s product teams and will provide transactional legal support to Etsy’s growing global business.
About the Team
Etsy’s global Legal team works with every Etsy business unit, across our offices worldwide, to provide timely and business-savvy legal advice. We help teams that design products, we draft contracts and policies, we advise engineers and leadership, advocate externally, and handle disputes to protect Etsy and our users. We meaningfully support Etsy’s growth by delivering legal and business know-how with a great work ethic. The position is located in Brooklyn, NY. This role will report to the Assistant GC and Director of Legal, Commercial.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an experienced Product & Commercial Counsel to join our team. You should be able to hit the ground running day one. You have spent time advising engineers and product managers on tech product development in a high velocity environment. You also have experience balancing sound business and legal judgment and know how to counsel a wide range of clients on commercial contract strategy, from start to finish. You are skilled at drafting and negotiating complex agreements and licenses, as well as advising on marketing, intellectual property and partnerships. You’ll be expected to not only issue spot but problem solve, end to end on a project. You are comfortable working on a highly collaborative team with diverse experience. You should understand and be enthusiastic about Etsy’s business and mission as a global marketplace for creative entrepreneurs.
About the Role
- We are a company at an exciting stage of growth, and strategic commercial and product legal work will be key to our success. You have experience advising product teams as they design cutting edge products and tools, balancing commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns. You are comfortable answering new questions, solving uncharted problems, and working collaboratively with business teams to meet the needs of our fast-paced environment.
- Deep experience with product development issues, including: web and mobile app development, privacy (US and international regs), intermediary liability, Ad technologies, cookies and trackers, EU and FTC regulations, COPPA, accessibility, commerce and payment regulation, SAAS and IaaS, open source, intellectual property protection and licensing, DMCA practices and procedures, and more.
- Review, draft and negotiate a wide range of US & international commercial agreements (especially experience negotiating indemnities, limitations of liability, intellectual property rights, software services agreements, etc).We are a team working on continuously improving our Legal Ops. You will help follow, enhance and develop scalable processes for all stages of the contract lifecycle.
- We are a global business. You are comfortable and skilled at identifying, understanding, and managing international legal and regulatory risks related our business.You’re experienced at getting the most from the internal teams you work with, others in legal, and outside counsel, through clear communication and effective project management.
- The most important quality for success on the Etsy legal team is good judgment. You know when to say “no”, you know when to say “yes” or “maybe, but...” and you also know when to escalate. You are mindful that the the company is your client, and you are savvy in your advocacy for and protection of your client.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA) and are qualified to work in-house in New York.
- You have 6+ years experience, ideally at both a law firm and in-house, dealing with issues related to product development for tech and e-commerce companies. You have handled a wide portfolio of technology, operational and commercial agreements, and have developed deep knowledge in some areas.
- You have experience being the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in managing the legal side of a project.
- You are an effective communicator -- verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical experts or business leaders in plain English, without legal jargon.
- You pay attention to detail and have strong organizational skills.
- You have excellent business, negotiation and presentation skills. While we expect you to be able to read a spreadsheet and build a deck –– you should also be able to analyze and communicate the information into a simple, effective message to others.
- You are a true team player. Your instinct when new work comes in is to volunteer to help, you are excited by new projects, you shouldn’t be afraid to ask or answer a question, and you step up when a colleague needs a second set of hands.
- You embrace goal setting and accountability. You know how to multitask and you have excellent time management skills.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow a company with an amazing mission is a rare opportunity.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.