Senior Software Engineer, Search & Personalization Experience
Brooklyn OR San Francisco
Engineering – Search & Data Sciences
Etsy is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Search & Personalization Experience team and help us connect buyers and sellers in meaningful ways.
About the Team
The Search & Personalization Experience team is part of Etsy’s Search Sciences group. Our mission is to help Etsy shoppers find what they are looking for, whether they are searching, or browsing, or both. We’re a small distributed team with a big impact and are responsible for Etsy’s Search and Discovery experiences. We play a significant role in designing and implementing both evolutionary and revolutionary features for millions of daily shoppers. We work with our ranking, data science, and infrastructure partners to leverage their ground-breaking algorithms into delightful user experiences. Some of our projects include search filters, trending popular searches, Our Picks For You, improving our Sold Out pages, recently viewed listings, scarcity indicators, badges, and more.
About the Role
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams
- Gain insights through research, our forums, and A/B tests
- Push code to production early and often using our continuous deployment systems
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally
Within your first month
- You shipped several things, pairing with teammates when appropriate
- You had a lot of questions; we had a lot of answers
- You understood our immediate roadmap at a high level: why we’re working on them, and the value they bring
Within your first six months
- You continued to pair on new-to-you things, but are independent on familiar tasks
- You had a strong understanding of your projects; how the pieces you've shipped fit into the whole, and what’s up next
- You shipped a lot and made significant contributions to team goals
Within your first year
- You were able to teach what you’ve learned to others
- You shipped features that make a lasting difference for our buyers and sellers, and suggested improvements for the future.
- You drove projects to completion and led projects with your teammates
- You have a tried and true history of technological contributions; you care deeply about your product and know how and when to make trade-offs
- You turn ideas into deeply reliable and well tested code that other people – or you, six months into the future – will find easy to comprehend and modify
- You are comfortable collaborating closely with product managers and designers, providing estimates or product ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and sharing your time and experience, and can mentor other engineers
- You are a mindful, transparent, and communicative member of your team
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.