Sr. Software Engineer, Structured Data
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Infrastructure Engineering
Etsy is looking for Software Engineers to join our Structured Data team to help us connect buyers and sellers in meaningful ways.
This is a full-time role located in either Toronto, Canada, Brooklyn, NY and San Francisco, CA (USA).
The Structured Data team is part of Etsy's Platform Engineering organization. Our mission is to connect buyers and sellers through meaningful descriptions of products, aiding in both discovery and decisions. The work we do directly impacts our buyers and sellers — the metadata we create, for example, powers the site navigation, categories, search results, search filters, and attributes on listing pages. For many sellers, Etsy is their primary source of income, and we work hard to support them. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work alongside our taxonomists, infrastructure partners, and many more product squads. We’re a small team with a huge impact across the Etsy platform. We value empathy, communication, and technical skills equally.
What you will do:
- You will build and maintain systems that enable product teams at Etsy to deliver on their business initiatives
- You will be involved in the architectural evolution of Structured Data, and play a role in designing microservices that add deeper meaning to products on Etsy
- You will support the Etsy taxonomists by building taxonomy tooling
- You will work to streamline the integration of Structured Data into multiple systems
- You will work directly with stakeholders to define and prioritize features
Who you are:
- You are comfortable working in a varied technical environment, in both new and existing systems
- You are an engineer who is able to communicate and collaborate with a diverse group of people: engineers, product managers, taxonomists, designers, analysts, legal, etc.
- You are excited about the opportunity to jump into unknown systems and figure out what needs to be changed or fixed, and find the right person to help if needed
- You have experience architecting and owning projects with a lot of stakeholders
- You are a good listener and adopt a growth mindset
- You have a “leave it better than you found it” mentality and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write
- You are generous with your time and experience and can mentor other engineers
- You are mindful and transparent in your communication with others
- You are comfortable working in UNIX environments
Nice to have:
- Experience with taxonomies, ontologies, search, or filters
- Experience in the e-commerce space or a two-sided marketplace
- Experience with Docker or a similar container framework, and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes
- Experience with a WebMVC framework (Rails, Django, or similar)
- Familiarity with the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.