Engineering Manager, Memory & Persistence
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking an Engineering Manager to join our team.
As Etsy grows, the technical infrastructure and platforms need to continue to enable Etsy's growth while providing innovative ways to improve our systems. The Memory and Persistence team along with the Provisioning team are tasked with making that happen and we're looking for someone to lead these two critical teams.
Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and both of these teams play key roles in this work. This is an exciting and revolutionary time to join Etsy as engineering embarks on its next generation work, offering an opportunity to be part of the teams that run the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers
This is a full-time position based in Etsy’s Dublin, Ireland office.
About the Teams
The Memory and Persistence team is a fluid and dynamic group. We work tightly with all of the development groups to bring a "full-stack" perspective on how the application and infrastructure are working together to provide availability and performance while still allowing for the great amount of change we want.
The Provisioning team exists to enable every Etsy engineer to access and manage computing resources through tooling, frameworks and APIs.
The teams strive for situational awareness; we know that failure happens, and sometimes we even cause them to happen on purpose. Being nice is a requirement. You will likely learn more about collaboration at Etsy than you have anywhere else.
About the Role
- Manage the career development of a team of highly collaborative engineers
- Contribute to technical discussions within your team to help increase the efficiency, stability, deliverability, and maintainability of everything your team produces
- Participate in the greater company discussions to help set the direction for Etsy’s engineering team
- Offer strategic direction, provide space for the team to create solutions
- Work asynchronously with people spread geographically between Europe, East Coast and the West Coast
- Regular 1:1s with team members, team meetings, representing the team within Systems Engineering and across the wider Engineering org
- Curiosity regarding what makes people tick
- Have prior experience managing teams
- Understand the importance of authenticity and mindfulness in leadership
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Are as excited by the challenges of nurturing a team as you are by the technical challenges of building systems
- Help those around you grow as engineers and be successful
- Enjoy learning about and interacting with the people who use your systems
What is nice to have, but not essential
- Relevant domain experience
- Experience with bare metal and cloud environments
- We are very open about how we build things and the tools we have created to get things done. Read more on our technical blog, CodeAsCraft
- We open source a lot of code
- We have amazing offices in the heart of Dublin city and Brooklyn, and ensure our remote employees don’t miss out either!
- We genuinely care about our talented teams and offer a fantasticparental leave policy, Health Care, Dental Care, Sabbatical leave and many more exciting benefits
- Most importantly we’re a social bunch with global offices full of fun, innovation, awesome people and all kinds of interesting events and we are continuously growing!
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.