Legal – Legal
Etsy is seeking a talented employment attorney to join its Legal team. The attorney will be chiefly responsible for employment/HR-related matters.
About the Team
Etsy’s global Legal team works with every Etsy business unit, across our offices worldwide, to provide timely and business-savvy legal advice. We help teams that design products, we draft contracts and policies, we advise engineers and leadership, advocate externally, and handle disputes to protect Etsy and our users. We meaningfully support Etsy’s growth by delivering legal and business know-how with a great work ethic.
About the Role
We are looking for someone who will support our HR team and employee base. The ideal candidate will have some familiarity with executive compensation, benefits, proxy reporting and immigration. EU employment law experience is a plus.
This role is located in our Brooklyn, NY office.
About the Role
- Work closely with HR and advise on a wide-range of employment matters, such as recruiting/hiring, performance management, training, wage and hour compliance, terminations, and the use of contractors and consultants. This is a new role, so you will need to have experience assessing risk, building processes, and earning influence through exhibited expertise.
- Advise on and draft a variety of employment-related agreements such as offer letters, separation agreements, contractor agreements, and more. You have the experience and knowledge to help the HR team build out standard templates for frequently used documents.
- Oversee employee-related internal investigations and employment litigation.
- Respond to demand letters and agency complaints and audits (EEOC, DOL, etc.) and handle related investigations.
- Provide training on employment-law topics.
- Regularly review/update Etsy’s global employee handbooks and related HR policies.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and international employment laws and regulations.
- Stay apprised of best practices, trends and developments in labor/employment law and apply them to Etsy through ongoing enhancements to current processes, policies and templates.
- Instruct and manage outside counsel (but the assumption is that you are a hands-on experienced “doer”, and will only need outside counsel advice on edge cases).
- Be a strong, collaborative partner to your colleagues on the Legal team.
- You should be able to hit the ground running as Etsy’s first dedicated employment counsel. To do that, you will need a strong background in a variety of employment law issues and an ability to provide clear, actionable advice to HR and management.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA) and are qualified to work in-house in New York.
- You have 6+ years of relevant work experience, ideally at a law firm and in-house, dealing with a broad range of employment law issues.
- You have experience being the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in managing the legal side of a project.
- You are an effective communicator -- verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical experts or business leaders in plain English, without legal jargon.
- You pay attention to detail and have strong organizational skills.
- You have excellent business, negotiation and presentation skills. While we expect you to be able to read a spreadsheet and build a deck –– you should also be able to analyze and communicate the information into a simple, effective message to others.
- You are a true team player. Your instinct when new work comes in is to volunteer to help, you are excited by new projects, you shouldn’t be afraid to ask or answer a question, and you step up when a colleague needs a second set of hands.
- You embrace goal setting and accountability. You know how to multitask and you have excellent time management skills.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow a company with an amazing mission is a rare opportunity.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.