Engineering Manager, Product Engineering
Engineering – Software Engineering
Etsy is seeking Engineering Managers to join our Product Engineering organization.
About the Team
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Our current systems run PHP, Java, Python, Ruby, Solr/Lucene, Postgres, MySQL, and more. Check out our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.etsy.com/
About the Job
This is a management-track position. Engineering managers at Etsy play a small part in the hands-on process of building software, but a very large part in orchestrating engineers to achieve great results. A technical background is required in order to be a good counsel and advocate for engineering, but don’t expect to be contributing production-facing code on a regular basis.
As an Engineering Manager at Etsy you will:
- Recruit and hire exceptional engineering talent and facilitate onboarding of new team members.
- Work with other engineering teams to identify and anticipate changing requirements and opportunities to improve the development environment.
- Work with product managers, designers, and engineers on the team to prioritize, plan and schedule work.
- Communicate status, risks and requirements to other groups.
- Provide technical and non-technical guidance to the team, both individually and as a group.
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for the team and its members.
- You are enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, and use that to help motivate diverse groups.
- You understand how a great manager can lead a team to achieve more than the sum of its members.
- You believe that people come to work to do great things and you derive satisfaction from helping others reach beyond what they were previously capable of.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have demonstrated experience managing technical teams, setting goals and crafting plans to achieve them.
- Can work with people across multiple disciplines to create, build, and launch successful products.
- Find immense value in the success of your team.
- Listen more than you speak, and are able to get your point across.
- Ability to establish credibility with brilliant engineers quickly.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.