Copywriter, Buyer Design
Design – Brand Design
Writing is, at its core, a design practice: design through, with, and in consideration of language.
As a copywriter at Etsy, you’ll connect unique small businesses with millions of customers all over the world.
If that sounds like something you’d be good at, read on.
Employing empathy, logic, style, and skill, a Copywriter at Etsy writes within and about our brand and our product with confidence. They have a deep understanding of our audiences, and proven track records writing in many contexts to create one consistent experience and expression for our customers. In addition to expressing Etsy, writers create content that helps buyers and sellers understand Etsy’s offerings & intentions, and to get meaningful & actionable output from what we give them.
Writers at Etsy have the ability to concept and write for a variety of mediums—everything from product copy to marketing emails to creative scripts. We are are aware of, and responsible for, the words across all our user experiences, both on and off site. We work alongside many different departments, including marketing, product design, research, translations, legal, and engineering to create campaigns and infuse the brand voice into all communications, resulting in a joyful, unified experience.
About the Role
- Help apply and maintain consistency with content standards and help evolve Etsy’s voice.
- Observe and understand research and market insights in order to practice human-centered design with words.
- Dial up or down our brand and our voice in the appropriate setting for creative campaigns to create the desired user experience.
- Brainstorm inspiring and engaging creative concepts that answer marketing briefs and connect with desired audiences.
- Confidently pitch ideas to stakeholders and develop those ideas from the concept stage all the way to execution.
- Make quick decisions on things like naming, product taxonomies, and phrasing.
- Work together with researchers, product managers, designers, legal, and engineers to serve our worldwide community of buyers and sellers.
- Continue to learn and enhance your skills in the field by reading, attending conferences, and writing; pursue new skills adjacent to your existing ones.
- Ability to form strong working relationships with team members and other collaborators.
- Enthusiastic opinions on serial commas, exclamation points, and emoji.
- Have a writing process that encourages systemizing, documenting and styling your workflows
- Skilled facilitator between marketing, product and legal stakeholders, bringing our language back to our customer goals and brand
- Are unafraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or a new understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded and able to adapt
- Are willing to work outside your comfort zone—maybe even excited about it!
- Have 3+ years of multi-media (mobile, product, social, email) digital creative writing or product content strategy
- Are excited about learning and growing to take your professional skills and career to the next level
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.