Director of Member Support
Brooklyn or Hudson, NY
Customer Support & Services – Members & Community Operations
In a world where customer support has become ubiquitous with long hold times, canned language, and apathetic agents, Etsy strives to provide a support experience that is human, trustworthy, and effortless.
As the Director of Member Support, you will build a world-class support operation that always lives up to that promise. You’ll be joining the team at a key inflection point in our growth and we will look to you and your deep background to make customer support a competitive advantage for Etsy.
This role will report into the VP of Member Operations and can be based in Hudson, NY or Brooklyn, NY.
The Member Support team, part of the larger Member Operations organization, is tasked with resolving problems, educating, and guiding members as they navigate buying and selling on Etsy. We support platforms and products, mediate disputes, and troubleshoot bugs. And as the primary touch point with our vibrant community of buyers and sellers, we serve as both the voice of the Etsy brand and an important advocate for our members inside the company.
As Director of Member Support, you will be responsible for three main areas:
- Strategy: you’ll be the expert on what constitutes best-in-class support and will make sure your teams are living and breathing that vision every day. You will align your strategy with broader company and department priorities, and translate Etsy’s vision and strategy into actionable team goals.
- Operational excellence: You will be responsible for meeting an ambitious set of targets, providing fast but high quality service, meeting volatile demand consistently and cost-effectively, and ensuring that members are highly satisfied with the experience. You will make sure your team and managers have best-in-class operational chops, and that they are enabled to (and held accountable for) achieve the goals that you set. You will solve organizational and operational problems creatively and tenaciously, always keeping our members at the heart of everything you do. You will work collaboratively and cross-functionally to make things happen, even when they’re hard, and will use every tool at your disposal to make things right for our customers.
- Leadership: you will lead, develop, and inspire a talented support team spread across multiple continents and languages. You’ll foster a culture where people feel valued and excited to build a career in Support - and you’ll build a deep bench of talented employees who are ready to take on more.
- Experience: you have 5+ years of experience managing a team in a customer support organization, including at least one year managing managers.
- Customer focus: you’re completely obsessed with the customer’s experience and have demonstrated this passion throughout your career.
- Analytical: you are analytical to the core and utilize data to optimize every element of the support operation. You have demonstrated ability to reduce cost, improve efficiency, and increase customer satisfaction. You don’t trade quality for cost savings, because you know both can be achieved.
- Adaptable: you take whatever is thrown at you and handle it with grace. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and approach your work with curiosity and excitement.
- Leadership: you’re a natural leader and coach - and you know how to listen. You’ve used to being told “you’re the best manager I’ve ever had!”
- No ego: you’re humble, self-aware, and a natural self course-corrector. You give and take feedback exceptionally well and you’re not afraid to say when you’re wrong.
- Collaborative: you have a collaborative management style, a drive to bring out the best in the people around you, and you intuitively know the right balance between debate and decisiveness.
- Ecommerce background - especially at a marketplace - is highly preferred
- Experience at a contact or call center
- Experience with Zendesk and Zendesk apps. Extra bonus points for having implemented or migrated platforms before.
- MBA is preferred
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.