Senior Data Scientist
Finance – Data Science
The Product Analytics team is responsible for helping drive the success of product efforts at Etsy by providing actionable insights, industry-leading measurement techniques, and access to the metrics, data, and tools needed for decision-making and optimization. We partner with cross-functional peers through all stages of development: identifying initial opportunities, refining the user experience, analyzing the impact of our efforts, and highlighting improvement areas. Ultimately, the team’s work strengthens Etsy and helps continuously improve the Etsy experience!
Learning new skills and techniques is not only a requirement but a perk of the job. We are always looking for opportunities to grow. Our mission is to guide product with data-driven insights, telling the story of how we improve the experience for our users to teams, to senior management, and to the community.
This role is located in our Brooklyn, NY and is part of our Analytics and Strategic Finance team.
About the Role
- Play a critical role in deciding how we can best engage and grow Etsy users by determining and helping execute on opportunities through analysis of behavioral and transactional data
- Transform raw data into meaningful and impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance, technique transparency, and aggressive documentation
- Design and analyze rigorous experiments, help teams set great hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results
- Raise the skill level of the entire analytics team through the creation of exemplary work, mentorship, and the introduction of better practices, processes, and tools
- You have 4-6 years experience as a data scientist or data analyst in which you have extracted meaning from large data sets with little engineering support
- You have mastery of SQL, and experience with R/Python and other scripting/automation techniques; bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem and Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software
- Trying new analytical approaches to answer nuanced questions and advance your skill set is important to you. You are an expert in sophisticated analyses and regularly use statistical methods in your work.
- You have guided product teams to identify high-impact opportunities, set meaningful goals against key outcomes, and driven decisions
- You have a deep understanding of experimentation theory and practice
- You distill highly complex problems into narratives that are concise, actionable, and memorable, and express your recommendations with both conviction and finesse
- You are passionate about reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end
- You have acted as a mentor, guiding others to make their own work better and more efficient
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.