Product Designer, Shipping & Orders (Brooklyn)
Design – Product Design
As a product designer on our Shipping & Orders team you'll help our sellers manage and ship their orders effortlessly to their customers.
We’re all about Product that’s all about people.
Product Designers create holistic, human-centered experiences across Etsy’s web and native products. They collaborate with small, multidisciplinary teams to empower creative people around the world to sell and buy the things they love.
If that sounds like something you'd be good at, read on.
As a product designer on Shipping & Orders, you’ll help customers receive their unique products from makers around the world. You’ll enable creative entrepreneurs to effectively streamline their orders, get the best shipping rates, print labels, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
We’re accomplishing this by doing hands-on research with our sellers, building and testing prototypes, and listening to their feedback along the way. Our process is in service of enabling our sellers to spend more time practicing their craft and making what they love. Simply put, you’ll be designing experiences that always put people first.
Day to day, you’ll collaborate with partners from all sorts of disciplines and perspectives, from product management to engineering to data science. As a product designer, you’ll actively contribute to our customer-centric design vision, champion our toolkits and design standards, and own design execution. You’ll make decisions informed by research, brand, and business goals. So, we’ll trust you to champion our sellers’ needs and to maintain a clear understanding of goals throughout the lifecycle of a project.
*PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATION WITH YOUR PORTFOLIO ATTACHMENT OR LINK TO BE CONSIDERED.
Some other things you'll do
- Make people-centered design decisions informed by data and user research.
- Think strategically about rolling out designs in small steps to validate your assumptions.
- Turn challenging workflows into simple, usable and elegant experiences.
- Wear many hats, from high-level product thinking, to interaction flows and just-enough mockups—all the way to prototypes and front-end implementation (any other hat is fine too, we’re open to all styles) .
- Share work with fellow designers, giving and receiving feedback.
- Collaborate with every team at Etsy: Product, Engineering, Research, Data, Support, Business, Operations, Brand Design and Marketing. Only together can we develop and ship holistic, brand-aligned experiences.
- Help shape your team’s roadmap by understanding and advocationing for the needs of our Sellers .
- Work with people who are passionate about design, but who also sing, clog, skateboard, build motorcycles, bike, embroider emoji, host podcasts, design jewelry, draw comic books, and juggle literal knives. It's not all computers and colors over here.
- Live in, or be willing to commute to, Brooklyn, NY (it’s awesome, promise).
- Have 3+ years of cross-platform product design experience.
- Believe that product and design decisions are inextricably linked.
- Are able to provide samples of work that show creative, user-centered UX solutions, strong visual design and solid information architecture.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of modern development technologies like HTML and SASS/CSSDelight in drawing up quick sketches, animated prototypes and experiments to validate ideas and opinionsValue quality and polish with an eye for detail in both what you make and how you make it.
- Give and receive honest, thoughtful feedback.
- Are unafraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded.
- Communicate design decisions openly and confidently, regardless of the audience—engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.
- Are willing to work outside your comfort zone—maybe even excited about it!
- Want to seek out and develop a design process that encourages collaboration between other designers and product teams.
- Advocate for the importance of research-informed design, and has partnered with research teams—or better yet, led research experiments—to validate and inform product thinking.
- Are super excited about learning and growing to take your professional skills to the next level.
Nice to Have's
- Have experience designing cross-platform tools for running small businesses.
- Have ever worked on systems for managing inventory or orders for ecommerce.
Let us know what inspires you about Etsy, and why you think you’d be a fit while adding something new to the team. If you work on a side project, write, volunteer your time or practice another craft besides designing beautiful, user-centered experiences, that means something to us, and we would love to hear about it!
Curious to learn more about what the Etsy Design team is up to? Check out our Design Blog.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.