Senior Product Designer, Buyer Team
Design – Product Design
As a product designer on our buyer team, you’ll connect unique small businesses with millions of customers all over the world.
We’re all about product that’s all about people.
Product Designers create holistic, human-centered experiences across Etsy’s web, email, and native products. They collaborate with small, multidisciplinary teams to empower creative people around the world to sell and buy the things they love.
If that sounds like something you’d be good at, read on.
On the buyer design team, you’ll create experiences that consider the whole inspiration, browse, and purchase journey across our web, email, and native products. Through rigorous market and user research, you’ll explore, ideate, validate, and build products to support the needs of both sides of our marketplace—our buyers and sellers. You’ll make decisions informed by research, brand and business goals. You’ll lead your team through the design process by spearheading a customer-centric product vision, championing our toolkits and design guidelines, owning the final execution of your designs, and mentoring junior designers to help level up the whole design team. We’ll trust you to champion the audience of your work, and to maintain a clear understanding of goals throughout the lifecycle of a project.
Day to day, you’ll collaborate with partners from all sorts of disciplines and perspectives across the company to bring products to life. You’ll contribute to strategic product and design thinking with product managers. You’ll partner with our user researchers and data teams to understand user needs and market opportunities. You’ll work with art directors and writers to make yours design delightful and brand-aligned. You’ll partner with software engineers to build your prototypes, making sure every last design detail is built for launch.
Curious to learn more about what the Etsy Design team is up to? Check out our Design Blog.
*PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATION WITH YOUR PORTFOLIO ATTACHMENT OR LINK TO BE CONSIDERED.
Some other things you’ll do:
- Help shape your team’s roadmap by understanding team goals and customer needs.
- Create comprehensive solutions to customer problems that deliver meaningful value to our customers and material impact for the business.
- Design simple, usable, and elegant customer experiences informed by mobile trends, data, user research, and brand positioning.
- Document and share your work each step of the way with fellow designers and product partnersOpenly seek and provide feedback to other product designers.
- Collaborate with a range of roles: Product, Engineering, Research, Data, Support, Business, Operations, Brand Design and Marketing.
- Think strategically about how to roll out designs in small steps to validate your assumptions.
- Work with colleagues who are passionate about design, but who also sing, clog, skateboard, build motorcycles, bike, embroider emoji, host podcasts, design jewelry, draw comic books, and juggle knives. It's not all computers and colors over here.
- Advocate for the importance of solving real customer problems, and has partnered with research teams—or better yet, led research—to validate and inform product thinking.
- Delight in creating sketches, prototypes, research plans, and experiments to validate ideas and opinions.
- Are able to provide samples of work that show creative, user-centered UX solutions, strong visual design and solid information architectureYou have a portfolio demonstrating strong mobile experience in the consumer product or ecommerce space.
- Demonstrate working knowledge or experience using modern development technologies like HTML and SASS/CSSBelieve that product, brand, and design decisions are inextricably linked.
- Value quality and polish with an eye for detail in both what you make and how you make itGive and receive honest, thoughtful feedback, and have a track record mentoring other designers.
- Communicate design decisions openly, clearly, and confidently, regardless of the audience—engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.
- Has a design process that encourages collaboration between other designers and product teams.
- Are unafraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or a new understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded and able to adapt.
- Are willing to work outside your comfort zone—maybe even excited about it!
- Have 5+ years of cross-platform (mobile, desktop, native, email) product design experienceAre excited about learning and growing to take your professional skills and career to the next level.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.