Senior Search Ranking Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Search & Data Sciences
Etsy is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Search Ranking team and help us power a unique, values-driven shopping experience that connects millions of buyers and sellers to one another.
The ideal candidate is a software engineer who has worked on search or search-related areas like recommender systems, and has background in information retrieval and machine learning.
The team is based in San Francisco, but we’re also open to candidates who are based in New York, or who would work remotely.
About the Team
Close knit team, high impact. Every member of our engineering team has a high level of level impact in driving key business goals. Our engineering team enjoys the process of helping tens of millions of buyers’ find what they’re looking for while simultaneously helping our sellers (creative entrepreneurs) be more successful.
Unique products, unique challenges. Etsy is a unique marketplace, and so is every item listed on it. This creates both exciting and a unique set of challenges in architecting a search experience that matches buyers to the products that match their unique tastes.
Technologically adaptable. We’re primarily a Java and Scala shop, but we use whatever tools are best to solve the problem at hand. Whether that is Spark for data analysis or deep learning to understand the text and images in product listings.
About the Role
- Improve our machine-learned ranking with better feature engineering, modeling, and training data collection.
- Develop query understanding tools, including query expansion, entity recognition, and natural language understanding.
- Develop document understanding tools to automatically extract structure from free-text product descriptions.
- Build features that support exploratory search, such as search results diversification, faceted search, and suggested search queries.
- Deliver personalized search experiences via a combination of explicit and inferred user preferences.
- Use multimodal deep learning to combine our text and image data to deliver the best possible search experience.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or BS with 2+ years of applied ranking or machine learning experience
- You’ve worked on problems in our space, ideally (but not necessarily) on search in the context of e-commerce or a marketplace
- You’re familiar with the different parts of the search stack and understand how data, infrastructure, and user experience interact with ranking.
- You enjoy an experiment-driven approach to product development
- You have experience applying information retrieval and machine learning to real-world problems
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.