Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Team
Engineering – Systems Engineering
We are seeking a Systems Engineer to join our Systems Engineering organization. Our challenge? Effectively leading highly distributed teams during an exciting transformational cloud migration.
The Observability team has a crucial task of providing the infrastructure that lets Etsy's engineers perceive and interpret the behavior of our systems. We are the providers of metrics, logging, and alerts to other system engineering teams.
This is an exciting time to join Etsy, our engineering team is growing as we embark on its next-generation work. It’s an opportunity to be one of the teams running the backbone systems which connects millions of sellers and customers. As Etsy grows, the technical infrastructure and platforms need to continue to enable Etsy's growth while providing innovative ways to improve our systems. Check out our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.etsy.com/.
This is a full-time role located in Dublin, Ireland.
About the Role
- Empower your fellow engineers to build observable systems using ELK, Graphite, and Nagios
- Architecting and building our next generation of observability tools, like Prometheus on Kubernetes
- Assist other teams with observability tools and practices
- Stand up monitoring solutions using for cloud and container-based infrastructure
- Document good observability practices as a guide to other teams
- Our on-call rotation puts the human first: teammates help each other keep a healthy work-life balance by trading shifts, offering assistance in emergencies, and systematically eliminating false-positive alerts
- Appreciation, communication, drive, and technical skill are valued equally
- Mentor and teach fellow team members as we all grow in our craft
- Contribute to technical discussions within your teams to help increase the efficiency, stability, deliverability, and maintainability of everything your team produces
- Offer strategic direction, provide space for the team to craft solutions
- Work asynchronously with people spread geographically between Europe, East Coast and the West Coast
- Represent your teams in project meetings within Systems Engineering and across the wider Engineering org
- You ideally have experience with metric, logging and alerting platforms
- You take pride in building reliable and sustainable systems with Ruby, Bash, Go, or PHP
- You know how and when to make trade-offs when building systems
- You are enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, and use that to help motivate diverse groups
- You are sought after as a mentor and creative problem-solver by others
- You have demonstrated experience leading technical teams, setting goals and crafting plans to achieve them
- You believe that people come to work to do phenomenal things
- You can work with people across multiple disciplines to design, build, and launch successful products
- You find immense value in the success of your team
- You know when to seek help from your teammates, and you do
- You listen more than you speak, and are able to get your point across
- You have experience establishing credibility with brilliant engineers quickly
- You enjoy working with an exciting environment within a multi-functional team, and have an interest in solving challenges in a space where initially a lot is unknown
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.