Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Team - Dublin
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join our team to help build Observability services. You will operate and automate the tools, services, and infrastructure that directly impact the productivity of our engineering organization and our Etsy Platform.
We are a distributed Agile team across 2 continents that is responsible for the development and operations of monitoring, metrics, and logging of our evolving platform. The team provides runtime insight that Etsy engineers utilize every day. We are currently migrating our platform into Google Cloud. We collaborate with our systems and product engineering teams to build the necessary pieces to provide Observability as a service.
We’re looking for someone who is a problem-solver, passionate about software development, excellent at working with others, and has domain knowledge in Observability services. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services. Data excites us and drives our decisions.
At Etsy, we believe that code is craft. We build the platform that connects millions of inspired creatives and customers. Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com.
Learn more about life at ETSY : https://vimeo.com/147486052
About the Role
- Under the Observability umbrella we architect, deploy, and operate the instrumentation, distributed logging, monitoring, alerting, and visualization in the Etsy Platform.
- We believe in measuring almost everything and we strive to back our direction with strong data.
- We use,Elastic Stack, Graphite, and Nagios extensively.
- We continue to enhance our Observability stack with systems such as Prometheus to better support distributed and highly available stateless systems in Kubernetes clusters.
- We strive to create and enhance existing tools where they fall short.
- All team members participate in a one week on-call rotation with a focus on continuously identify ways to improve and automate our services.
- We value appropriate documentation and take the time to update it.
- You appreciate the full stack and are excited to increase your understanding of it.
- You continuously grow your Systems and Software Engineering skills and use these for company-wide improvements.
- You have experience in tools/services such as Elastic Stack, Nagios, Graphite, Kafka, and Prometheus.
- You are passionate about writing code, preferably in Go, Ruby, and Python.
- You have in-depth knowledge of the Linux operating system and have hands-on operational experience with virtual machines, Linux Containers, and cloud infrastructures.
- You love to experiment and use data to contribute to decision-making.
- You understand that being an effective engineer is as much about communicating with people and understanding the problem to be solved as it is about writing code.
- You strive to continuously improve yourself and your team.
- You care about "the why".
- You are passionate about your customer's experience.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.