Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Team
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer, Observability to join our technical staff
A company like Etsy can't grow without an innovative and dedicated engineering team. And the Observability team, part of Systems Engineering, has a crucial responsibility: we provide the infrastructure that lets Etsy's engineers perceive and interpret the behavior of our systems.
Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and the Observability team will play a key role in this work. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as the engineering team embarks on its next-generation work. It’s an opportunity to be part of the teams running the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers.
This is a full-time position based in Etsy’s Brooklyn office or remote in a US timezone.
About the Team
Systems Engineering is a fluid and dynamic group. We work across Engineering to provide teams with tools, platforms, and insights into how their systems are performing. The team strives for situational awareness; we know that failure happens, and sometimes we even cause them to happen on purpose. Kindness is a requirement. You will likely learn more about collaboration at Etsy than you have anywhere else.
The Observability team is responsible for making sure that the behavior of Etsy's systems is easy to perceive and interpret. In practice, this means working with the ELK stack, the Graphite ecosystem, and Nagios – all while standing up our next generation of observability tools, like Prometheus.
About the Role
- Be part of the team's on-call rotation.
- Assist other teams with observability tools and practices.
- Stand up monitoring solutions for cloud and container-based infrastructure.
- Document good observability practices as a guide to other teamsWork with a distributed team.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
- A systems engineer who takes pride in building reliable and sustainable systems.
- Can write code.
- Can define and solve unconstrained problems.
- Are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- Know how and when to make trade-offs when building systems.
- Know when to seek help from your teammates.
- Are a strong collaborator and communicator and can mentor other engineers.
Nice to Have's
- Previous experience with metric, logging and alerting platforms.
- Experience with bare metal and cloud environmentsExperience with Go, Ruby, bash or PHP.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.