Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Team - Dublin
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join our team and help build Observability services, operate and Automate the tools, services and infrastructure that directly impact the productivity of our engineering organization and our Etsy Platform.
We are a distributed agile team across 2 continents, that is responsible for the development and operations of Monitoring, utilisation Metrics and Logging of our Infrastructure and services. The team provides runtime insight that Etsy engineers and Etsy customers utilise every day in Product Development. We are currently transforming our platform from Private Cloud into Google Public Cloud, and work with our Systems Engineering teams to build and operate the necessary Observability services as we migrate to Google Cloud
We partner with engineers in identifying areas of improving the flow from code to production as we build the platform that connects millions of sellers and customers. Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com.
We’re looking for people who are excellent at working with others and are problem-solvers, use software craftmanship as your mantra for problem-solving. We are looking for engineers who are passionate about software development, operate what you build and continuously iterate to improve the instrumentation services we develop such as Monitoring, Metering, Logging and Alerting. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services.
About the Role
- We are in exciting times having begun our migration journey from our own Data Centers to Google Cloud for our Etsy Platform
- We apply systems software engineering in the Observability Team for our Infrastructure and Services that compose of our Etsy Platform
- We design and build Instrumentation systems as part of our platform to Orchestrate, Automate, Provision, Test, Monitor, Meter, Log and Graphically view our services and build the missing pieces in Systems Engineering
- We collect operational insight using ELK and Nagios on the performance of the running services and continue to enhance our operational Instrumentation stack
- We architect, deploy and operate Instrumentation services for our platform supporting various environments such as bare-metal, Virtual Machines and Linux containers; providing the right level of metrics to drive decisions based on operational data
- We continuously adapt to improve the Observability stack as we migrate our applications to Google Cloud
- All team members participate in an on-call rotation to continuously identify and automate our services for improvement
- You appreciate the full stack and continuously grow your Systems Engineering skills and competence and share these throughout the teams for company wide improvements
- We value appropriate documentation, and take the time to up date it
- You are experienced in Instrumentation with systems skills on building and operating monitoring, metering, logging, alerting services of distributed systems at scale
- You understand the value Instrumentation offers and the metrics it provides for operating the platform at scale
- You are passionate in writing code (Go, PHP, Ruby, Python) to contribute making Instrumentation services run and iterate to enhance observability services
- You have experienced building, deploying and operating apps/services within Cloud Infrastructures such as Google Cloud, AWS or something similar
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems and have hands on operational experience of Hypervisor's and Linux Containers
- You have developed applications and tools in the Kubernetes Ecosystem and know what backend solutions to integrate and how to Monitor, Meter, Log and graphically view such a heterogeneous Infrastructure
- You have experience in building API's and adopting the micro-services approach in your design and implementation of applications and services
- You collaborate with other team tasks sharing your knowledge and improve the code others have written to achieve the deliverables
- You love to experiment and use data we collect and mine to contribute in decision-making design and architecture throughout our engineering teams
- You understand that being an effective systems engineer is as much about communicating with people and understanding the problem to be solved as it is about writing code.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.