Senior Systems Engineer, Observability Team
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer, Observability to join our technical staff. The Observability team, part of Systems Engineering, has a crucial responsibility: we provide the infrastructure that lets Etsy's engineers perceive and interpret the behavior of our systems.
The Observability team is responsible for making sure that the behavior of Etsy's systems is easy to perceive and interpret. In practice, this means working with the ELK stack, the Graphite ecosystem, and Nagios – all while standing up our next generation of observability tools, like Prometheus.
A company like Etsy can't grow without an innovative and dedicated engineering team. Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and the Observability team will play a key role in this work. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as the engineering team embarks on its next-generation work. It’s an opportunity to be part of the teams running the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers.
This is a full-time role located in Dublin, Ireland.
About the Role
- Be part of the team's on-call rotation.
- Assist other teams with observability tools and practices.
- Stand up monitoring solutions for cloud and container-based infrastructure.
- Document good observability practices as a guide to other teams.
- Work with a distributed team.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
- A systems engineer who takes pride in building reliable and sustainable systems.
- Can write code.
- Can define and solve unconstrained problems.
- Are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- Know how and when to make trade-offs when building systems.
- Know when to seek help from your teammates.
- Are a strong collaborator and communicator and can mentor other engineers.
- Nice to Have ...
- Previous experience with metric, logging and alerting platforms.
- Experience with bare metal and cloud environments.
- Experience with Go, Ruby, bash or PHP.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.