Senior Software Engineer, Market Localization
Brooklyn OR San Francisco
Engineering – Software Engineering
About the Team
The Market Localization team is dedicated to improving the Etsy experience in other languages and countries. We do this by building libraries used by other engineers and building locally credible experiences on all platforms. The work we do directly impacts our international members. For example, we localized currencies and addresses, giving our international buyers confidence in their purchase. We also improved our search experience for international members. For many sellers, Etsy is their primary source of income, and we work hard to support them.
About the Job
This is a Senior Software Engineer position on Market Localization. You will be a major code contributor on the team, and will ensure that we are shipping high quality work and following best practices. You will also support and mentor the other engineers on the team.
About the Office
Etsy is based in Brooklyn, so the San Francisco office is smaller (around 40 people). Our office feels much more close-knit, and we all know each other -- something usually not possible at a mid-size company.
You have a history of successfully leading work of significant complexity with deep impact on the business. Senior engineers at Etsy are expected to lift up the people around them -- you are able to support your team and create opportunities for them to grow. You contribute beyond the level of a single engineer by advocating for good engineering practices and mentoring other engineers on your team.
We work in 2-week sprints. Each sprint has a few goals broken out into tasks. We’re a collaborative team, so usually multiple engineers are working towards one goal, each grabbing a task. Engineers also review each other’s pull requests and help other engineers who come into our slack channel asking for help.
First Month - You will spend the first month getting familiar with the company and the team. You will:
First Six Months - You will spend the first six months diving deep into Market Localization’s work. You will:
- Build and launch many features experimentally using our A/B test framework
- Iterate quickly using a fast gather data, build a hypothesis, test the hypothesis loop
- Grow your knowledge about our architecture
- Understand our members better by meeting our sellers and responding to a customer support email
First Year - Here’s what you can expect to have accomplished in the first year:
- You were able to teach what you’ve learned to others
- You shipped features that make a lasting difference for our buyers and sellers, and suggested improvements for the future.
- You drove projects to completion and led projects with your teammates
- Our team values working well with other people. You will work with engineers, product managers, project managers, and designers, all with different needs. You must be able to understand everyone’s needs and work with the group to build the product.
- Market Localization has a wide domain, so you must be able to learn new technology. You might be in our big data stack one day, and in our iOS codebase the next day.
- On the technology side:
- Proficient in one scripting language
- Experience working with a relational database like MySQL
- Can organize your own work, and the work of others
- Able to clearly explain tradeoffs in your work
- Well-versed in testing
- Full-stack experience
Nice to haves
- Experience with A/B testing
- International / localization experience
- Deep full-stack knowledge
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.