Finance – Finance & Accounting
The Senior Payroll Accountant will play a key role in ensuring Etsy’s payroll/benefits data is accurate, timely and consistent with best practice financial and operational procedures. This role will support the rapid and sustained global growth of Etsy.
The position is located in Brooklyn, NY and reports to the Accounting Senior Manager.
The position requires an accounting professional experienced in and capable of managing multiple priorities in a dynamic, public, rapidly growing and fluid organization. You must be highly organized and able to work through situations that are uncertain or ambiguous. You see mistakes as an opportunity to learn and overcome adversity, understand the importance of cultivating collaborative relationships, and gently but effectively push yourself and the people around you to the next level.
- 2-4 years of experience in Accounting; experience in Payroll accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration or comparable experience.
- Ability to prioritize and work well in a fast-paced environment with competing demands.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Workday knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work independently, follow tasks through to completion and meet commitments, proactively seeking guidance as necessary.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with excellent attention to detail.
- Critical thinking skills and the capability to translate concepts into next steps and ideas.
- Working knowledge of expense report processing is a plus.
- Driven not only by individual success, but the by the success of the team.
- Passionate about contributing to Etsy’s vision, product and community.
About the Role
- Ensure month-end close deadlines are met; prepare related journal entries and account reconciliations for all assigned balance sheet and expense accounts.
- Perform reasonability analysis on semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls, collaborating with HR colleagues to ensure payroll is complete and accurate prior to initiating payment.
- Record monthly accruals, including accrued paid time off and bonuses.
- Analyze medical liability to ensure it is appropriate, accounting for self-insurance reserves.
- Journalize payroll expense, tax, withholding and benefits transactions timely and accurately via the entry of invoices, bank transactions, and manual journals with all appropriate coding and support.
- Create monthly reporting and analysis for operating and payroll expenses; improve upon existing processes by adding relevant metrics.
- Quarterly reconciliation of employer’s quarterly federal tax return to the trial balance.
- Support the Internal Controls team and other Accounting colleagues in process improvements, controls initiatives, and documenting standard operating procedures.
- Prepare technical accounting memos, as required.
- Support year-end and interim audit work, as well as tax and budgeting.
- Actively engage in developing a positive team culture and other projects related to financial operations as needed.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.