Senior Search Infrastructure Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Search & Data Sciences
Etsy is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Search Infrastructure team and help us connect buyers and sellers in meaningful ways.
This is a full-time role located in San Francisco, CA.
About the Team
The Search Infrastructure team is part of Etsy’s Search Sciences group. Our mission is to build, evolve, and scale the core infrastructure powering Etsy’s search and AI platform. We’re a small team with big impact that owns and operates all indexes behind Etsy’s search and aims to utilize aggressive automation to ensure our infrastructure scales independently of the size of the team. You’ll be a key engineer in designing and developing our next-generation search system. You’ll work with our ranking, data science, and infrastructure partners to implement scalable solutions to complex problems.
About the Role
- Design, develop, and evolve the core infrastructure of our search platform
- Help us improve our next-generation information retrieval system which allows Etsy to ship new relevance-based AI products while simultaneously improving the quality of our existing infrastructure
- Build highly scalable system software using primarily Java and Scala
- Analyze the shortcomings of the existing systems and propose alternatives
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams
- Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally
- You’re an infrastructure engineer that takes pride in building reliable systems with great visibility that engineers love to work with.
- You care deeply about the product and know how and when to make trade-offs.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or BS with 2+ years of equivalent work experience
- Experience developing information retrieval technology or a strong desire to become an expert in the domain
- Experience architecting, improving, and operating large scale distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of developing and debugging with Java or Scala one of the following languages: Java, Scala
- Comfort working on a *NIX command line and reading/writing Bash
- Experience with higher level scripting languages such as Python or PHP
We don’t love lists since we’re not simply trying to tick boxes, but here are some skills that are useful for this role:
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.