Senior Software Engineer, Provisioning Team
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Software Engineer to join our Provisioning Team and help build and maintain our toolchain for managing provisioning of our infrastructure.
The Provisioning Team is responsible for allocating and delivering computing resources to the entire Etsy organization. We work closely with other engineering teams to do capacity planning to support the growth of existing workloads and new projects. We build tools and integrate existing solutions to quickly and reliably respond to the changing demands of Etsy’s technical infrastructure.
Etsy is actively preparing to move our systems from our data centers to a cloud provider, and the Provisioning team will play a central role in this work. This is an exciting and revolutionary time to join Etsy as engineering embarks on this major piece of next generation work, offering an opportunity to be part of the teams that build and maintain the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers. Our work is collaborative and service-oriented. We’re looking for people who are excellent at working with others to understand system requirements and deliver solutions. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services.
This full-time role is located Dublin, Ireland.
About the Role
- Build and maintain Etsy's computing infrastructure, on bare metal in our datacenters and in the cloud.
- Maintain and improve Etsy’s provisioning tools, allowing rapid deployment of service capacity.
- Work with other engineering teams to do capacity planning and provide resources to support traffic growth and new initiatives.
- Experience installing Linux systems on bare metal and/or in virtualized environments.
- Scripting experience with one or more: shell, Ruby, or Python.
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience working in a cloud environment.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages. Ruby, Python, Go, and PHP are in general use at Etsy but experience with other languages is also valuable.
- Familiarity with revision control software, especially Git.
- Experience with basic management of core operations systems like DNS, LDAP, and NTP.
- A solid understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Nice to Have ...
- Familiarity with cloud deployment tools and methodologies (Terraform, Packer, Google Cloud Deployment Manager, AWS CloudFormation).
- Experience with automated host provisioning systems such as Cobbler or Foreman.
- Experience with various Out-Of-Band management platforms (ILO, DRAC, etc.) and technologies (IPMI, SNMP).
- Understanding of hardware configuration protocols such as DHCP and PXE, RAID management tools (MegaCLI), and firmware standards like UEFI.
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a "continuous deployment" environment
- Knowledge of key networking concepts such as VLANs, load balancing, TCP and firewalls.
- Experience working with virtualization, both on-premises and in the cloud. Specific experience with Linux KVM and LXC containers a plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration frameworks.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.