Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Brooklyn OR Dublin
Engineering – Systems Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Software Engineer to join our Provisioning team and help build and maintain our toolchain for managing provisioning of our infrastructure.
The Provisioning Team is responsible for allocating and delivering computing resources to the entire Etsy organization. We work closely with other engineering teams to do capacity planning to support the growth of existing workloads and new projects. We build tools and integrate existing solutions to quickly and reliably respond to the changing demands of Etsy’s technical infrastructure.
Etsy is actively preparing to move our systems from our datacenters to a cloud provider, and the Provisioning team will play a central role in this work. This is an exciting and revolutionary time to join Etsy as engineering embarks on this major piece of next generation work, offering an opportunity to be part of the teams that build and maintain the infrastructure that connects millions of sellers and customers.
Our work is collaborative and service-oriented. We’re looking for people who are excellent at working with others to understand system requirements and deliver solutions. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for the users of our services.
If you're interested in joining the team, please send us your resume. Please include a cover letter letting us know why you’re interested in the job and why you think you’d be a good fit. Etsy values diversity, curiosity, and willingness to learn above a strict match to every bullet point, so even if you don’t fit all our requirements, please don’t hesitate to submit.
Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety, so use your judgment and write to us in your own voice. If you have a public presence on the web that we can access,contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or practice another craft besides building excellent technical systems, let us know – we’d love to hear about it.
About the Job
- Build and maintain Etsy's computing infrastructure, on bare metal in our datacenters and in the cloud.
- Maintain and improve Etsy’s provisioning tools, allowing rapid deployment of service capacity.
- Work with other engineering teams to do capacity planning and provide resources to support traffic growth and new initiatives.
- Experience installing Linux systems on bare metal and/or in virtualized environments.
- Scripting experience with one or more: shell, Ruby, or Python.
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience working in a cloud environment.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages. Ruby, Python, Go, and PHP are in general use at Etsy but experience with other languages is also valuable.
- Familiarity with revision control software, especially Git.
- Experience with basic management of core operations systems like DNS, LDAP, and NTP.
- A solid understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with cloud deployment tools and methodologies (Terraform, Packer, Google Cloud Deployment Manager, AWS CloudFormation).
- Experience with automated host provisioning systems such as Cobbler or Foreman.
- Experience with various Out-Of-Band management platforms (ILO, DRAC, etc.) and technologies (IPMI, SNMP).
- Understanding of hardware configuration protocols such as DHCP and PXE, RAID management tools (MegaCLI), and firmware standards like UEFI.
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a "continuous deployment" environment
- Knowledge of key networking concepts such as VLANs, load balancing, TCP and firewalls.
- Experience working with virtualization, both on-premises and in the cloud. Specific experience with Linux KVM and LXC containers a plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration frameworks.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.