Data Science Intern, Summer 2018
Internships – Internships
Etsy is looking for Data Science Interns to join our Data Science team in Brooklyn, New York.
Please note: Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered!
Etsy is looking for Data Science Interns to join our Data Science team in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to advancing the fields around E-commerce by building technologies to help understand our customers and the world. We are seeking individuals passionate in areas such as Machine Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer Vision. Our interns have an opportunity to make core algorithmic advances and apply their ideas in the dynamic world of E-commerce. Interns could publish their innovations at top tier conferences such as KDD, NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, WWW, WSDM, SIGIR and etc. This position would be based in Brooklyn, New York.
What We’re Working On
- Recommendation and Personalization
- Natural Language Processing and Query Understanding
- Image Processing and Understanding
- Text Understanding
- Ranking for Search and Ads
- Fraud and Abuse Detection
- Large-scale Machine Learning
Who You Are
- You have strong analytical and quantitative skills. You are familiar with techniques in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer Vision or related fields.
- You are currently enrolled in a full-time Ph.D degree program in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Computational Advertising, Deep Learning and Computer Vision or related fields, and returning to the program after the completion of the internship.
- You have strong technical and programming skills. You are familiar with relevant technologies and languages (e.g. Python, Java, C++ and etc.). You have experience in or desire to learn Hadoop/Spark related Big Data technologies.
- You have demonstrated the capability to review and write technical papers.
- You contribute research that can be applied to Etsy product development.
- You have the ability to quickly prototype ideas and can solve complex problems by adapting creative approaches.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator and you make the engineers around you grow and learn.
What We Care About
- Curiosity and humility. We are dedicated to learning and constantly improving. We hope you also value things like blameless postmortems and have a natural drive to figure out how everything works.
- Keeping it real. Etsy’s mission and values are a part of everything we do. We care about how our work affects real people in the community and enjoy opportunities to meet them. We are motivated by this mission every day.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.