Engineering Manager, Compliance
Engineering – Software Engineering
Etsy is seeks an Engineering Manager for our Compliance Engineering team.
Etsy is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to join our Compliance team. Our team builds systems and automates tasks to increase the accuracy and integrity of our financial reports, protect the privacy of our users, and minimize the impact of compliance requirements on the productivity of our engineering organization. Some of the systems we work with include GitHub, Jenkins, Chef, and JIRA, as well as with the main Etsy code base. You’ll help transform our existing applications, devise your own approaches, and build brand new applications from the ground up. The ideal candidate has experience managing a team that requires excellent software engineering skills and a strong understanding of the business.
This is a full-time position, located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Team
The Etsy Compliance team is charged with building and maintaining the tools we have built to maintain SOX compliance, complying with privacy regulations, and meet Etsy’s other statutory obligations. The Compliance team works collaboratively with a wide variety of teams, applications, and technology stacks within Etsy -- collaboration and communication are as important as writing new code. We like candidates who are generous, responsible, curious, and enthusiastic.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired makers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Our current systems run PHP, Java, Scala, Python, Ruby, Solr/Lucene, Postgres, MySQL, and more. Check out our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.etsy.com
Empathy, communication, and technical skill are valued equally.
About the Role
- As the manager of the Compliance Engineering team you will:
- Lead and retain a team of four to eight engineers, interviewing and recruiting new team members when needed.
- Be responsible for successfully collaborating with Compliance, Internal Controls, and Legal personnel to understand our compliance requirements and make sure they are met.
- Provide technical leadership on compliance-related matters throughout the engineering organization who are working with other engineering teams as they build and change systems that have an impact on compliance.
- You are an experienced engineering manager, able to work with stakeholders to set the team’s road map and coach the team members to be better engineers.
- You are comfortable acting as a consultant with other engineering teams whose projects have compliance implications.
- You have experience building internal tools and working with internal stakeholders, especially tools for engineering teams.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.