Senior Network Security Manager
Engineering – Security Engineering
Etsy is seeking a Network Security Engineering Manager to join our security team. You’ll protect Etsy from attacks by both leading and technically contributing to a team tasked with innovating in the space of devising and implementing threat detection and attack surface reduction.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of encouraged makers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Check out the security section our engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com/category/security/ and our previous talks https://www.etsy.com/codeascraft/talks#section-Security for more on our technology and culture.
On Etsy’s security team, we view ourselves as partners to the broader dynamic and fast-paced engineering org. Rather than relying on paperwork and bureaucracy to achieve desired security outcomes, we focus on architecting and building world-class monitoring and alerting solutions. This allows us to minimize friction for our engineers while continuously strengthening our security posture.
This is a full-time role located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- You will be a leader in this position, with an opportunity to set the technical direction for our Network Security engineering roadmap, and are empowered to ensure we remain on the cutting edge in this space.
- Your will lead a team of highly technical security engineers working on a range of long term infrastructure security projects, as well as assisting our analyst team with shorter term more responsive security projects and incident response.
- You'll provide technical and career leadership to the netsec engineering team and grow their contributions to the security space.
- You'll be expected to design and implement new approaches to compromise detection, from initial compromise through persistence and lateral movement.
- Understand offensive techniques/tactics and be able to prioritize implementations accordingly.
- Instrument and perform anomaly analysis of systems and networks. Collaborate with colleagues across teams to architect & ship projects securely.
- You are a people manager with a tried ability to lead an effective project manager delivering infrastructure projects.
- Basic security knowledge in keeping with someone with at least 2 years of security experience or 5+ years of DevOps experience.
- For example: SSH, SSL, iptables, chef/puppet/salt/etc, upgrading hosts, monitoring (esp security-related events), can enumerate dangers of running services as root.
- Interest in the role and building a best-in-class network security program with a particular emphasis on monitoring.
- You possess a deeper security knowledge and you're goal is to learn more.
- You commit and contribute to your craft (for example: you follow security blogs, knows how to run rootkits, is able to prioritize different security projects against one another, is able to find interesting & creative security solutions to real-world problems, looks to publish security papers and attend conferences.
- You have run a security program before.
- You have experience with JAMF for laptop fleet management.
- Have a MDM for Etsy-owned phones.
- You've used Chef.
- You've worked in a cloud infrastructure-focused environment.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of color, ancestry, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status.