Corporate Counsel (Remote Friendly)
New York City, NY, US /
Growth & Operations – Compliance - Legal /
Founded in 2015, Even Financial is a B2B fintech company that is transforming the way financial institutions find and connect with consumers. As the leading search, comparison, and recommendation engine for financial services, Even seamlessly bridges financial institutions (including American Express, Goldman Sachs, and SoFi) and channel partners (such as TransUnion and The Penny Hoarder) via its industry-leading API. Even turns any consumer touchpoint into an ROI-driven, fully customizable, programmatic acquisition source with full compliance and security at scale. Even's investors are leading financial services firms and VCs, including American Express Ventures, Canaan Partners, Citi Ventures, F-Prime Capital (Fidelity), Greatpoint Ventures, Goldman Sachs, LendingClub, and MassMutual Ventures.
We are looking for an experienced and energetic legal counsel to join our team and provide support to a fast-paced technology company, reporting to the Head of Governance and Security. The Governance and Security team, which includes Compliance and Legal, is a collaborative group responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful while likewise protecting Even Financial’s core values and interests.
This is an on the ground opportunity where you will have responsibility for establishing and growing our legal operations and practice in house. As a team player, you will be responsible for supporting all teams throughout the organization to ensure they have the resources they need to be successful. You will participate in projects to improve our legal infrastructure, work-flow, and processes. You will need to be proficient at managing complex commercial transactions, specifically having experience negotiating enterprise-level SaaS agreements. In addition to serving as our internal legal voice of authority, you will also be responsible for managing our network of outside counsel in collaboration with key stakeholders at Even. Above all, you will bring a business-oriented, practical mindset to solving problems while delivering legal advice. You will be responsible for assisting on drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of agreements, corporate matters and relationships. We are looking for an attorney with experience in the advertising, internet, or software sectors (preferably fintech or financial); software licensing, internet marketing and regulatory law experience a plus.
- Serve as the legal point of contact at Even, and manage relationships and joint initiatives with our network of outside legal/regulatory counsel.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including advertising, marketing, vendor, license, business development, SaaS, and other commercial and operational contracts.
- Advise, counsel and report to management on general legal and regulatory risks, including with respect to financial regulations and other regulations specific to advertising, technology, data, employment, and privacy.
- Perform general corporate and pre-litigation/litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights.
- Prepare and maintain corporate records for accuracy and thoroughness.
- Participate in the development and structuring of new business ventures.
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders for contract processing, negotiation, approvals and execution
- Draft, update and maintain templates, playbooks and alternate provisions, always with a mind toward solutions
- 2-5 years of legal practice, with at least 2 years of experience providing transactional support for business clients - including drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts.
- 2+ years of experience in advertising, technology, Saas sales subscription agreements, and intellectual property, with a background of independently advising clients in relation to commercial transactions.
- An accountable team player and self-starter with a propensity towards action and solutions
- A strong written and oral communicator who can explain legal issues to sales personnel and to our partners ranging from C-suite executives to individual contributors
- High attention to detail
- Has a sense of humor
Full time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
Comprehensive medical/dental/vision packages + life and disability insurance
401K retirement plans
Company paid holidays
Unlimited paid time off (PTO)
A subsidized gym membership with ClassPass
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.