Senior/Lead Data Scientist - Search & Recommendation
New York, New York
Founded in 2015, Even Financial, a NYC based FinTech company, is the leading search, comparison and recommendation engine for financial services. Even provides essential infrastructure for financial institutions and channel partners (e.g. TransUnion, The Penny Hoarder, MoneyUnder30, Empower, Tally) to connect consumers with personalized products (including loans, deposits and more), utilizing its robust yet simple API. Even is proven to lower the cost of acquisition, improve monetization, monitor compliance and deliver transparency at scale. The Even platform serves as a trusted intermediary for financial institutions – including Prosper, LendingClub, and Marcus by Goldman Sachs – that finds consumers through its vast network of channel partners and distributes their products digitally.
Even Financial is seeking a talented Senior Data Scientist to join the Data Science team. You will help mentor team members and drive data science excellence at Even, and will support the inception, enhancement, development and implementation of new and existing data science models.
Some of the questions we explore are:
- How can we best prioritize financial product offers for each consumer we see?
- How can we integrate with third party data sources to enhance our recommendation models?
- How can we best mix active and passive signals to maximize click through rates?
- How do we optimize against the different data flows we have, given our open API?
- How do we build a strong data science process that effectively documents, experiments with and monitors model performance?
- Apply a structured approach to predict, measure and evaluate the trade-offs of possible solutions to recommendation/search-related business problems, taking into account large sets of data and practical considerations such as implementation time to market, cost, and scalability
- Provide strong mentorship and guidance for a growing team of data scientists
- Manage and scale a high-traffic, low latency recommendation engine, while continuing to grow its capabilities and analytical features
- Develop, test, and introduce new features and signals for our recommendation and filtering systems via analysis of historical consumer data, third party data sources, and various other ML techniques
- Work with data engineering, product, and business intelligence on defining and constructing data sets and deploying enhancements to our models
- Work with languages such as Scala, Python, R, and have familiarity with AWS, Redshift or similar data warehousing.
- Experience working on a search or recommendation engine that has been deployed at scale
- Strong business communication skills (ability to communicate business value and impact), creative problem-solving and intellectual curiosity
- Ability to work well in a team and mentor team members towards actionable results
- Ability to decompose large, complex problems into smaller actionable parts
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math/Finance, Physics, Applied Economics, Statistics or other technical field preferred or relevant experience (5+ years)Experience analyzing and computing data at scale with tools such as Spark, MapReduce, Hive, Presto, Redshift, etc.
- Experience building and explaining the differences of various machine learning models such as logistic, multi-armed bandits, neural nets, etc.
- You have a sense of humor
Full time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
· A comprehensive medical/dental/vision package provided through Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield. Life and disability insurance are also included.
· Enrollment in our 401K plans. Once you are enrolled in the plan, you can change your contributions rate or opt out at any time.
- Stock option program
· Eight company paid holidays for the 2019 calendar year. Paid time off (PTO) is uncapped, should it be in accordance with the Company’s policy, which will be outlined during New Hire Orientation.
· A subsidized gym membership with New York Health and Racquet Club.