Senior Design Director - EBLab Innovation Team
Remote, United States
Eventbrite is a global self-service ticketing and experience technology platform that serves a community of hundreds of thousands of event creators in nearly 180 countries every year. Since its inception, Eventbrite has been at the center of the experience economy, transforming the way people organize and attend events. The company was founded by Julia Hartz, Kevin Hartz and Renaud Visage, with a vision to build a self-service platform that would make it possible for anyone to create and sell tickets to live experiences. The Eventbrite platform provides an intuitive, secure, and reliable service that enables creators (aka event planners) to plan and execute their live and online events, whether it’s an annual culinary festival attracting thousands of foodies, a professional webinar, a weekly yoga workshop, or a youth dance class. Creators have been the central focus for Eventbrite, with over 200 million tickets distributed to more than 4 million experiences last year, Eventbrite is where people all over the world discover new things to do or new ways to do more of what they love.
In March 2020, Eventbrite went from 14 years of compounded growth to negative revenue in just 14 days. As Julia Hartz puts it, “ it was a crucible moment for us, to say the least.” EB saw this as an opportunity to examine its past and re-think core, long-term choices about who we serve, what makes us unique, and how Eventbrite can win in the marketplace. A focused three year strategy was developed as follows: 2021 build creator confidence by providing an intuitive self-service toolset for creators to manage their events, 2022 build a suite of marketing tools that leverage Eventbrite’s scale and data to empower creators to more effectively run their marketing and promotion, and in 2023, winning consumer choice as a destination to seek out live experiences, and in turn fuel creator growth through captive demand. As we embark on the next 3 years, we aspire to become the indispensable marketplace for live experiences, putting consumers at the forefront of our business.
As the Director of our Innovation Team, EBLab, you'll have the pivotal role of steering 1-3 year initiatives that are intrinsically aligned with the organization's major product bets and long-term objectives. By leading a cross-functional team with a strong emphasis on design excellence and user-centricity, you'll lay the groundwork for impactful, scalable growth. Positioned at the juncture of product, marketing, and consumer insights, your leadership will be key in harmonizing these elements to drive initiatives that not only propel the product platform but also serve as a cornerstone in the organization's long-term strategy. Here at Eventbrite, we deeply honor the artistry and expertise inherent in design. We recognize that every team member, whether in a management or individual contributor (IC) role, is in essence a designer, constantly honing and refining their skills and craft. This belief underpins our commitment to a hands-on approach in all aspects of our work. It's this dedication to actively engaging with and excelling in design that sets our standard for best-in-class performance, distinguishing us in every initiative we undertake.
- Conceptual Exploration:A facilitative role in encouraging and guiding team explorations of bold and innovative design concepts.
- User-Centric Strategy:Skill in discerning user needs and translating business objectives into actionable and innovative product opportunities, focusing on optimal user experiences.
- Accessibility Commitment:A strong belief in creating accessible designs, prioritizing the most impactful interactions to ensure they are inclusive and reach the widest audience possible.
- Human-Centered Insight: A deep understanding of human behavior and psychology, aimed at crafting design solutions that are intuitive and engaging.
- Visual Design Mastery: Exceptional aesthetic sensibility, particularly in mobile app design, covering key funnel areas like acquisition, activation, engagement, and retention.
- Leadership in Design and Growth: Comprehensive 5-10 years of experience leading high-performance, design-centric teams, backed by exceptional team management capabilities.
- Data-Driven Strategy: A strategic mindset that prioritizes data-driven decision-making and problem-solving within a design context.
- Clear Communication: Stellar abilities in communication, writing, and presentation, ensuring that ideas are conveyed crisply and clearly.
- Agile and Accountable: Ability to thrive in a dynamic, agile work environment while holding the team accountable for maintaining skills required to achieve pixel-perfect design outcomes.
- External Design Community Building: Champion Eventbrite's design culture in the wider design community, inspiring and attracting top talent and enthusiasts through thought leadership, public engagement, and showcasing our innovative practices.
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience in digital design.
- Experience unblocking and unlocking the creative potential of creative individuals
- Experience mentoring and upleveling designers craft
- Advanced proficiency in design software (e.g., Figma, Adobe Suite)
- Advanced prototyping skills (Figma, Origami, Principle)Proven expertise in interaction design and visual craft a mustStrong ability to inform and influence product strategy.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design, HCI, or a related field.
- Application Process: Interested candidates are invited to send a resume and portfolio demonstrating relevant experience. Please note that the portfolio should specifically highlight the candidate's role and contribution to the showcased projects.
The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Eventbrite, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $230,000 to $290,000. You may also be eligible to participate in Eventbrite’s incentive program(s) (such as equity, annual incentive bonus and commission plans), subject to the applicable rules and restrictions.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are committed to providing competitive, valuable and meaningful benefits for our Britelings.
We work hard to cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where Britelings feel like they belong.
Employees can participate in resource groups and we offer programming throughout the year to support a diverse and inclusive workplace. Read more about our Diversity and Inclusion work for our team, culture, and community.
We offer comprehensive benefits and a wellness package above and beyond standard medical benefits to support our Britelings’ lifestyle.
Eventbrite's global benefit programs are designed to meet you where you are by offering resources and support for your health, well-being, finances, and family. This includes support in a remote/hybrid environment, wellness allowance, Carrot family planning benefit, Origin Financial Planning service, and other offerings to ease the mind and body like Modern Health and BriteBreaks (generally the first Friday of every month off).
Eventbrite is a global self-service ticketing, marketing, and experience technology platform that serves a consumers and event creators in nearly 180 countries. Since inception, Eventbrite has been at the center of the experience economy, transforming the way people organize and attend events. With over 280 million tickets distributed for over 5 million total events in 2022, Eventbrite is where people all over the world discover new things to do or new ways to do more of what they love. Learn more at www.eventbrite.com.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Eventbrite is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from all suitably qualified individuals are encouraged, regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.