Security and Compliance
We’re looking for a commercial attorney to operationalize and scale our contracting and contract management process. As Commercial Counsel, you will own the entire end-to-end contracting process, including the negotiating and management of our customer and vendor contracts. In this key role, you will be reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a variety of customer facing agreements, including Master Service Agreements (MSAs) relating to the Everlaw platform, as well as various amendments to existing agreements and ancillary documents. The position includes communication with internal and external customers and requires strong cross-functional collaboration skills.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who enjoys operating autonomously, can manage multiple projects, and competing priorities comfortably. We are looking for candidates who are excited about the opportunity to help to grow Everlaw’s business in a compliant and forward-looking manner, while working with diverse groups of stakeholders to get things done in a complex and fast-moving global business environment. This position reports to the VP of Security and Compliance.
- Draft, review, analyze, modify, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements and other contractual instruments with clients and vendors with the support of the business
- Identify and explain non-standard terms and associated risks to relevant business stakeholders and interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise on same
- Facilitate and own internal contract approval process and implement a process to deliver continuous improvement of standard form agreements and legal processes, with an emphasis on efficiency and scalability
- Partner with internal stakeholders in a continued effort to streamline contract-related processes as well as integrate templates across varied business units
- Develop, implement, and manage a contract management strategy that includes a contract workflow and management system and provides critical business intelligence to the organization
- Conduct an audit of the operational impacts around existing contracts (including SLAs)
- Maintain and update form agreements, contract management systems, and other databases to ensure compliance with Everlaw policies and risk tolerance
- Advise and assist with matters of corporate governance, organizational structure, and entity management (including routine corporate filings)
- Educate business partners on key commercial, legal, corporate policy, and other considerations by providing follow up information to internal stakeholders to ensure timely performance and adherence to terms of contracts
- Collaborate with the rest of the Security and Compliance team on other legal and compliance issues that shape our business
- 2-4 years of law firm and/or in-house experience with a focus on commercial and contract management matters
- Demonstrable experience in contract drafting, negotiation and management
- A creative thinker with strong problem solving skills and the ability to stay calm under pressure, work independently, handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and effectively manage deliverables with time-sensitive deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and an ability to clearly and simply explain complex ideas
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and issue resolution abilities and an eagerness to work in a cross-functional role with the entire Everlaw team
- Strategic thinker with verifiable history of providing sound and practical advice
- JD, Active member of CA bar and in good standing
- Authorization to work in the United States; please note that at this time, Everlaw is not sponsoring visas for any positions
- Competitive salary
- Substantial equity
- Retirement plan with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays
- Reimbursement of bar membership
- Work in Downtown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants
- Select your own hardware and customize your desk setup
- Bond over team lunches and out-of-the-box events
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- Voted one of "San Francisco Bay Area's Best and Brightest Companies" and one of "Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces"
We help law firms, government agencies, and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host scores of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases litigated today.
If you’re looking for an open, democratic company culture that values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we want to hear from you.
Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. It is our policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.