Privacy Operations Specialist
Oakland, California /
Security and Compliance /
Everlaw is seeking a Privacy Operations Specialist that demonstrates our company values of process-driven growth, attention to detail, and egoless communication! As a Privacy Operations Specialist, you will help run and scale our data governance and overall privacy program. With enthusiasm and clarity, you’ll partner with cross-functional teams within Everlaw, help build and run multiple projects, and help identify and develop processes that demonstrate the effectiveness of our program. You'll be part data governance operator, part privacy expert, and part program manager, finding the perfect balance to support the teams with which you work. Additionally, you will play a key role in developing privacy training and awareness. We are looking for a Privacy Operations Specialist, who is agile and adapts to the growing needs of the business and ensures that the privacy organization is seen as a facilitator rather than a blocker.
At Everlaw, our mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is open and democratic and we’re committed to the professional growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals.If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you! Think you’re missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the ‘perfect’ candidate and encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team.
This is a full-time on-site position located in Oakland, California.
In the first few months, you will
- Assist with selection and implementation of privacy tech tools to improve privacy maturity and build scalable processes
- Collaborate with internal teams, such as Product, Engineering, and Marketing to identify privacy issues, propose solutions, and perform data protection impact assessments
- Grow and foster the existing culture of privacy by serving as an internal champion for privacy
- Help identify, measure, and report on key performance metrics that demonstrate the health and effectiveness of the Privacy program
- Raise awareness of internal policies around privacy and data usage across the company by planning and managing internal events, such as Data Privacy Day
- Work to become a privacy expert, by tracking key projects and timelines to ensure that the Privacy team delivers success to internal teams and clients
- Feel like part of the team! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the company with informative sessions on our policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- Learn, grow, and contribute right away. We trust that you will bring experience and knowledge that will uplift the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1. You will have time to develop your privacy knowledge and get up to speed on all aspects of Everlaw.
Going forward, you will
- Establish and manage tools for documenting and tracking compliance with legal obligations, including consent management, privacy impact assessments, initial privacy risk assessments for vendors, and assistance with resulting privacy and data security controls
- Facilitate privacy-by-design in product development, IT and marketing projects, including by building performing data mapping, and creating internal processes, procedures and guidelines
- Provide ongoing direction and support for the privacy training program, including development and delivery of content for privacy training
- Contribute to scalability of the Privacy team with documentation and process optimization
- You have at least two years relevant experience in data privacy, technology law, policy, programs, or another related field
- You have exceptional oral and written communication skills that show enthusiasm, energy, and poise
- You are exceptionally organized, methodical, detail-oriented, and process driven, and can successfully manage multiple competing responsibilities at the same time
- You are comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires the ability to work independently and adaptively, anticipate and mitigate friction points, and take initiative to promptly resolve and learn from challenges
- You have experience collaborating with technical and business teams
- You demonstrate the ability to think critically and creatively, with superior analytical and problem solving skills
- You have a willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in to help others to achieve the team's end goals
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and a dedication to ongoing learning
- You are authorized to work in the United States; please note that at this time, Everlaw is not sponsoring visas for any positions.
- CIPP/US/E/CIPM or CIPT or other privacy or risk and compliance-related certifications (i.e. CCEP) is a plus, but not required
- Industry experience (SaaS or ediscovery) is a plus, but not required
- Competitive salary
- Substantial equity
- 401k with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Work in Downtown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants
- Select your preference of hardware (Mac or PC) and customize your desk setup
- Bond over team lunches and out-of-the-box events
- “Ranked #1 on G2 for Ediscovery Software and Momentum” and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through “Everlaw for Good”
We help law firms, government agencies, and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host hundreds of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases litigated today.
If you’re looking for an open, democratic company culture that values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we want to hear from you.
Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. We respect the gender, gender identity and gender expression of our applicants and employees, and we honor requests for preferred pronouns. It is our policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity, including the California Equal Pay Act.