Oakland, California /
Join a growing, venture-funded startup! We manage hundreds of terabytes of data and dozens of AWS Instances across multiple countries. Our clients use Everlaw to operate on mission-critical and highly confidential data and trust us to maintain a secure, performant, and resilient platform. We take this trust very seriously and are looking to hire engineers with expertise in these areas to take our software development practices to the next level.
Our team has laid the groundwork on many initiatives to improve engineering operations (which explains our 99.97% non-maintenance uptime last year and our FedRAMP certification) but there is more we can do. Our company is growing quickly and we are looking to not just keep pace as an operations team but to excel. You’ll help us keep these priorities in focus and help us get even better as we expand our offerings and host orders-of-magnitude more data.
At Everlaw, our mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is open and democratic and we’re committed to the professional growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals.If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you! Think you’re missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the ‘perfect’ candidate and encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team.
This is a full-time on-site position located in Oakland, California.
In Your First Few Months You Will
- Improve our reliability, security, and quality of our cloud infrastructure with an automation of processes including: configuration management, application/infrastructure deployment, and compliance/governance.
- Provide technical guidance to teams; planning and implementing changes that impact the cloud environment and architecture.
- Proactively support production and data center operations by building, logging, monitoring, and alerting functionality across our environment.
- Codify and automate operational tasks to break down the walls and reduce the bottlenecks between teams.
- Improve our on-call, incident management processes by encouraging deeper understanding, communication, and trust.
- Partner closely with our Engineering, Security, Product, and Quality Assurance teams to ensure visibility and effective communication across customer-facing and operations teams.
- Feel like part of the team! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the company with informative sessions on our policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- Learn, grow, and contribute right away. We trust that you will bring experience and knowledge that will uplift the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1. You will have time to develop your product knowledge and get up to speed on all aspects of Everlaw.
Projects You May Work On
- Moving server administration, security checks, monitoring processes into Ansible, Python, or Bash scripts.
- Building baseline configurations such as AMIs or Docker containers.
- Optimizing the use of AWS resources.
- Working in automated environments.
- Automating failover mechanisms for our production architecture; aiding in critical issue resolution as needed (during work hours or otherwise).
- Creating documentation that is easier to find and easy to understand.
- You have US Citizenship.
- For three of the five years immediately prior to applying for a position, you have: 1) resided in the United States; 2) worked for the United States overseas in a Federal or military capacity; or 3) be a dependent of a Federal or military employee serving overseas.
- You have experience administering always-on cloud-based and Linux-based systems.
- You have a passion for automation and tooling paired with effective scripting experience and experience building reusable tools.
- You have experience and comfort with Bash and Python programming.
- You have experience with Infrastructure as Code and Cloud environments (ex: Terraform, Ansible, AWS, Docker, ECS, etc).
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You have knowledge of Network security, Network configuration, Firewall configuration and DDoS mitigation.
- You have experience with performance tuning and monitoring systems (ex: Nagios, ELK, Prometheus, Datadog, etc).
- You have experience with security monitoring, alerting, and resolution.
- You have a history of demonstrating initiative and autonomy.
- You have an expertise in one or more compiled languages.
- You have specific expertise in Amazon Web Services.
- You have past experience in developing and participating in SRE teams.
- You have expertise in logging/monitoring tools and turning data into actionable tickets.
- Competitive salary
- Substantial equity
- 401k with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
- Fully paid pregnancy and bonding leaves for new parents (including adoptive and foster)
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Work in Downtown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants
- Select your preference of hardware (Mac or PC) and customize your desk setup
- Bond over team lunches and out-of-the-box events
- “Ranked #1 on G2 for Ediscovery Software and Momentum” and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through Everlaw for Good
We help law firms, government agencies, and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host hundreds of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases litigated today.
If you’re looking for an open, democratic company culture that values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we want to hear from you.
Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. We respect the gender, gender identity and gender expression of our applicants and employees, and we honor requests for preferred pronouns. It is our policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.