Aerodynamics and Stability (Part Time)
Los Angeles Area, CA /
Exosonic is a startup developing a quiet supersonic airliner to advance supersonic travel around the world without restrictions on overland flight. This means giving travelers the opportunity to travel from places like San Francisco to New York in only three hours, and making intercontinental travel possible in a day trip. In doing this, we are focused on building a sustainable future that everyone can take part in. Our small team includes experts with many years of aircraft development experience across several programs.
We are seeking a part time aerodynamics and stability engineer to assist in the conceptual design of this aircraft and related projects. Hours are flexible and at the level of 25-50% time, with the possibility of full time employment as the company expands.
We are currently a fully remote team, but we will establish an office in the Los Angeles area when conditions allow. Ample time will be provided for relocation.
- Lead aerodynamic analysis of aircraft configurations to determine keys performance metrics, primarily through the use of CFD techniques
- Utilize aerodynamic results in combination with other tools to estimate stability characteristics and boom loudness
- Support novel supersonic configuration trade studies
- Identify simulation and analysis needs from input disciplines
- Support wind tunnel test planning and model development
- Clearly document findings and succinctly communicate them
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Typical candidates for this position will have at least 10 years of experience in related roles
- U.S. person status (work requires access to export controlled tools and information)
- Experience analyzing aircraft configurations for aerodynamic characteristics
- Experience supporting configuration development and trades
- Knowledge of engineering codes for estimating stability derivatives
- Understanding of the impacts of aeroelasticity on controllability and control surface sizing
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Experience with shape optimization and mesh adaptation techniques
- Experience with software development in languages such as Julia, Python, C++
- Experience with wind tunnel testing
- Knowledge of boom propagation tools and best practices