Expo Services & Infrastructure Engineer
Remote (US) /
Working on the Expo services means you'll write code in TypeScript using technologies like React, Next.js, GraphQL, and Node. You'll think through the needs of the developers using Expo, and build elegant, reliable, sensible services that make their live and jobs easier. You'll make choices about what services we build and how they work so you'll need to have a good understanding of app developers, the Expo ecosystem, metrics, reliable systems, and developer products. You'll talk with developers about what is working for them and what isn't, and what they need and don't have yet that we could provide for them. You'll provide direction to and work with open source contributors from the Expo community.
Why work at Expo
Every day, millions of people use apps made with Expo — from public health apps to food delivery apps to dating apps to Bitcoin wallets. Great organizations like Brex, Flexport, Insider, Blackline, Cameo, PrettyLittleThing, Pizza Hut, and the EPA trust Expo to help them build top-notch application software in record time. When we make improvements to the Expo libraries and tools, hundreds of thousands of developers benefit and build better software faster for millions of their users.
Everyone on the Expo team works on something important because we have a small team and we do a lot of things. We strive to create an environment where everyone is set up to do their best work. Each person on the team has a lot of flexibility and autonomy to work the way that works the best for them.
Qualities that make you a good fit
- Can independently make decisions and come up with new, effective ideas on how to improve the process of creating and distributing application software.
- Have built and operated web services with monitoring and an on-call rotation.
- Have experience with some of the following and are able to learn the rest: Kubernetes, Google Cloud (GCP), AWS, Postgres, Redis, serverless functions.
- Are able to quickly respond to your coworkers in order to make sure Expo can make quick, continuous progress.
- Understand why well-designed tools and APIs are important.
- Can build well-designed and well-tested features quickly.
- Are good at effectively communicating your ideas and code through documentation, GitHub comments, blog posts, and other public writing.
- Understand the problems and aspirations of Expo’s users, which are problems you think of on a daily basis.
- Have a high quality of experience in building application services and similar challenges.
- Competitive compensation (salary, equity)
- Healthcare benefits
- Flexible schedule and location
- $6,000 equipment budget for computers, phones, and any other equipment you need to be most productive
Where We Can Hire 🇺🇸🇨🇦
Most of the Expo team works during North American hours. In normal times, about half our team is remote and half our team works from our office in Palo Alto. Because of COVID-19, we're all working remotely right now and until further notice. We are hiring across the United States and Canada (both citizens and permanent residents). In a small number of cases, we may be hire people in other countries who are able to work on a Pacific-time-zone schedule.