Senior Learning Experience Designer
Cambridge, MA or New York, NY
We’ve helped world-renowned universities create the next generation of online learning, and we’ve designed learning solutions that support the missions of dynamic nonprofits. Our esteemed Learning Experience Design team is central to the success of these projects. The team creates unique and powerful experiences that leverage the latest in learning science and technology to engage the learner and create rigorous learning. We are searching for a Senior Learning Experience Designer to own LX design work, develop key relationships with client counterparts, guide clients through critical learning decisions and advise on their efforts to build new capabilities. This role will also be influential in defining, articulating, and evolving our approach to projects as well as EE's perspective on adult learning. This role reports to a Learning Experience Lead and mentors and coaches junior team members.
What you'll do:
- Lead analysis of clients’ learning-related challenges and opportunities, including learning proposition, learning goals, key differentiators, and learner personas.
- Design a high-level vision for a product or program’s learning experience, including learner journeys, product and platform features, content strategy, and metrics of product and learner success.
- Incorporate best practices and current thinking from learning science and educational technology to design highly effective, engaging learning experiences.
- Lead LX project teams in a collaborative and highly-visible role with clients, subject matter experts, and interdisciplinary EE team members on educational strategy ideation, decision-making, project planning, and implementation.
- Promote and implement iterative approaches to validate and refine design choices through concept testing, prototyping, and learner feedback sessions.
- Guide subject matter experts in their development of learning objectives, assessment strategies, content maps, activity types, and learner interactions.
- Advise clients on efforts to build internal capacity for learning design, content creation, and program support.
- Collaborate with EE project managers to establish project plans, including key learning design milestones, deliverables, team allocation, and budget.
- Coach and provide feedback to less experienced members of the LXD team.
- Travel to client sites is required, approximately 4-6 times per year, usually 2-3 nights per trip.
Who you are:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in instructional design or learning experience design required. Bachelor’s degree required; Master's degree in a related field preferred.
- Passion for learning and remaining on the cutting edge of current thinking in learning science and educational technology, and an ability to present a perspective on these issues in strategic and technical conversations.
- Experience assessing learner needs, determining learning goals, and proposing a comprehensive learning strategy.
- Experience working directly with subject matter experts to manage their contributions and diplomatically align their perspective and thinking to best serve project needs.
- Experience with brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, user testing and developing requirements for technology solutions in collaboration with product managers, user interface designers, and software developers.
- Strong, communicative, collaborator with a track record of working closely with colleagues to achieve project objectives within deadlines and budgets.
- Familiarity with a variety of modern tools and technologies used in formal and informal learning settings (e.g. LMS’s, collaboration tools, assessment tools, mobile learning).
- (Highly Preferred) Experience working in a client service role or consulting organization; experience in higher education and non-higher education settings.
- (Preferred) Familiarity with principles and processes of human-centered design, agile development, program evaluation, and learning analytics.
What we offer:
- Extension Engine’s guiding principle is to “Do the Right Thing.” This means for our clients and our team members.
- Our connections---our relationships---are our most valuable assets and at Extension Engine, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with a group of curious, humble, transparent, and quirky people who are laser focused on outcomes.
- At the end of the day, we know that people don’t live to work, they work to live. That’s why we support each other’s personal priorities. Our current team members are parents, woodworkers, apple sauce canners, marathon runners, international trekkers, and accomplished musicians---just to name a few.
- We also offer a competitive salary, health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401k with a generous match; gym cost sharing; and flexible paid time off.
- We have a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other’s unique perspectives, backgrounds, and abilities, and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Who We Are:
Extension Engine is a services firm that helps higher education institutions, nonprofit organizations, and learning businesses create Custom Learning Experiences — online learning as unique as their vision and brand. We deliver by working closely with our clients to imagine the best solutions for their learners and business. We urge our clients to rethink every aspect of the learning landscape in order to help them design a unique vision. We then build innovative educational solutions to meet their vision while being agnostic about technology. We help our clients grow by building internal knowledge and capacity — through launching the program, co-operating, and then transferring — thereby enabling them to expand on what we’ve created together, with or without us.