Learning Experience Designer
Cambridge, MA or New York, NY
We’ve helped world-renowned universities create the next generation of online learning, and we’ve designed learning solutions that support the missions of dynamic nonprofits. Our esteemed Learning Experience Design team is central to the success of these projects. The team creates unique and powerful experiences that leverage the latest in learning science and technology to engage the learner and create rigorous learning. We are searching for a Learning Experience Designer to own and execute critical elements of LX design and development, develop strong relationships with client counterparts, and provide input on critical learning decisions. This role will also participate in evolving our approach to projects and helping to ensure that EE's perspective on adult learning remains on the leading edge. This role reports to a Learning Experience Lead.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with subject matter experts and content producers to develop creative learning design deliverables including learning objectives, assessments, content plans, activities, media items, and learner interactions.
- Apply best practices and current understanding of the fields of learning science and educational technology to create highly effective, engaging learning experiences.
- Use an iterative design and feedback approach to validate and refine learning design choices. Evaluate the effectiveness of a design in improving learning outcomes prior to and following release.
- Support the analysis of learning-related challenges to inform a product/program-level vision including developing learning goals, learner personas, key product/platform features, use cases, and tangible metrics of product and learner success.
- Support senior LX designers and team leads in working with client stakeholders and interdisciplinary team members on educational strategy, ideation, evaluation, project planning, and implementation.
- Build learning experiences on a variety of LMSs.
- Execute project-related research tasks to inform or support learning design decisions.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's Degree with 2+ years of experience designing learning experiences, or Master's degree in a related field.
- Current knowledge of best practices, processes, and recent developments in educational technology and learning science.
- Experience working directly with faculty or subject matter experts to manage their contributions and diplomatically align their perspective and thinking to best serve project needs.
- Strong collaborator and communicator capable of working closely with colleagues to achieve project objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with autonomy and deliver on precise deadlines.
- Familiarity with a variety of modern tools and technologies used in formal and informal learning settings (e.g. LMS’s, collaboration tools, assessment tools, mobile learning).
- Basic understanding of front-end design and development techniques (UX principles, wireframing, HTML, etc.).
- Passion for learning and remaining on the cutting edge of current thinking in the field and an ability to articulate a perspective on these topics.
- (Preferred) Experience working for a services or consulting organization, experience working in higher education and non-higher education settings, experience with user experience design and learner testing, familiarity with principles and processes of human centered design.
What we offer:
- Extension Engine’s guiding principle is to “Do the Right Thing.” This means for our clients and our team members.
- Our connections---our relationships---are our most valuable assets and at Extension Engine, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with a group of curious, humble, transparent, and quirky people who are laser focused on outcomes.
- At the end of the day, we know that people don’t live to work, they work to live. That’s why we support each other’s personal priorities. Our current team members are parents, woodworkers, apple sauce canners, marathon runners, international trekkers, and accomplished musicians---just to name a few.
- We also offer a competitive salary, health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401k with a generous match; gym cost sharing; and flexible paid time off.
- We have a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other’s unique perspectives, backgrounds, and abilities, and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Who We Are:
Extension Engine is a services firm that helps higher education institutions, nonprofit organizations, and learning businesses create Custom Learning Experiences — online learning as unique as their vision and brand. We deliver by working closely with our clients to imagine the best solutions for their learners and business. We urge our clients to rethink every aspect of the learning landscape in order to help them design a unique vision. We then build innovative educational solutions to meet their vision while being agnostic about technology. We help our clients grow by building internal knowledge and capacity — through launching the program, co-operating, and then transferring — thereby enabling them to expand on what we’ve created together, with or without us.