Senior Learning Experience Designer
New York, NY
Extension Engine is a services firm that helps those in the business of learning create online learning experiences as unique as their vision, pedagogy, and brand. We believe the innovative use of technology and design can yield life-changing outcomes for learners. This belief inspires us to dream big, explore, play, and open our minds to new ideas, creating transformative educational experiences primarily for nonprofits, higher education, and training businesses. Our services include strategy, learning experience design, software development, content development, creative, and marketing. We’ve worked with some of the world’s great organizations including Harvard, MIT, Smithsonian, AICPA, Youth Entrepreneurs, and more. We are based in Cambridge, MA with offices in New York City and Croatia.
Our esteemed Learning Experience Designers create unique and powerful learning experiences that leverage the latest in learning science and advances in technology to engage the learner and create powerful learning. The LXD team plays an integral role in defining, articulating, and evolving Extension Engine's perspective on adult learning.
- Analyze clients’ learning-related challenges to develop a high-level vision for the learning experience design including learning goals, user personas, product and platform features, media and content strategy, and metrics to measure product and learner success.
- Incorporate best practices and current thinking from learning science and educational technology to design highly effective, engaging learning experiences.
- Work collaboratively and in a highly-visible role with clients, subject matter experts, and interdisciplinary EE team members on educational strategy ideation, decision-making, project planning, and implementation.
- Directly produce and guide subject matter experts in their development of learning objectives, assessment strategies, content maps, activity types, and learner interactions.
- Work with content creators and media producers to generate creative deliverables aligned with learning outcomes.
- Use an iterative approach to validate and refine design choices through concept testing, prototyping, and learner feedback sessions.
- Collaborate with EE project managers to establish an overall project plan, including key learning design milestones, deliverables, team allocation, and budget.
- Coach and provide feedback to less experienced members of the LXD team.
Prior Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years experience in instructional design or learning experience design or a Master's degree in a related field with 3+ years experience.
- Current knowledge of best practices in learning design and developments in the fields of educational technology and learning science.
- Experience working directly with subject matter experts to manage their contributions and diplomatically align their perspective and thinking to best serve project needs.
- Experience leading and collaborating with user experience designers to design, develop, and deliver mockups, prototypes, and user tests for validation of learning designs.
- Strong, communicative, collaborator with a track record of working closely with colleagues to achieve project objectives in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with a variety of modern tools and technologies used in formal and informal learning settings (e.g. LMS’s, collaboration tools, assessment tools, mobile learning)
- Comfort with brainstorming, sketching, and writing requirements for technology solutions and front-end user interfaces in collaboration with user experience designers and developers.
- Passion for learning and remaining on the cutting edge of current thinking in the field and an ability to present a perspective on these issues in strategic and technical conversations.
- Preferred: experience working for a services or consulting organization; experience in higher education and non-higher education settings
- Preferred: familiarity with principles and processes of human-centered design, agile development, and learning analytics.
We are a diverse, collaborative, and mission-driven organization of lifelong learners who are passionate about expanding access to education through technology and innovation. The quality, integrity, and commitment of our team members have been key factors in our company’s growth since our inception in 2000. Join our team!