Director of Learning Experience Design
Cambridge, MA /
Learning Experience /
Unprecedented times call for unprecedented responses and unwavering leadership. The world's best universities and most innovative nonprofits are grappling with the challenges and opportunities thrust forth by COVID, and ultimately wrestling with their long term future. With your help, we can help them not only survive, but thrive. Where digital education is more than video lectures and recorded lessons. Where we’ve imagined and delivered a whole new world that rivals the classrooms, boardrooms, and campuses of the past.
We’re looking for our next Director of Learning Experience Design (LXD) to hone and execute Extension Engine’s vision for digital learning. An inspirational champion for learner-centered design, science-backed pedagogy, and cutting edge technology. The beating heart of Extension Engine.
What you'll do:
- Serve as a core member of the leadership team working to continually push us toward ongoing learning and excellence.
- Set overall strategy and vision for LXD approach that is backed by science and learner-first principles. Build infrastructure to enable execution of that strategy and vision.
- Build a best in class team of LXDs, Media, and Content experts while coaching and developing direct reports.
- Project staffing needs and assign LX team on projects, and monitor ongoing utilization.
- Actively identify new project opportunities and work closely with the Sales team to craft project proposals and pitch to prospective clients.
- Serve as an Engagement Manager, building strategic relationships with clients, mitigating risk, and ensuring success for long term engagement.
- Serve as Senior LXD on key client projects, collaborating with other team members to design and develop high quality learning experiences that meet client needs, manage relationships with Subject Matter Experts, and help drive overall project success.
- Create and oversee the design, production, and client services practices and processes to deliver consistent excellence in projects. Intervene on projects as needed to ensure project quality and team success.
- Push team to seek creative and non-traditional solutions to client objectives and learning problems; incorporate best practices for LX design; and support solutions with current thinking from learning science and educational technology.
Who you are:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in digital instructional design or learning experience design.
- Passion for design thinking, and the intersection of learning science and technology. Insatiable curiosity.
- Experience leading instructional design projects or teams, or managing third-party vendors to deliver such services.
- Servant leader and experienced manager with a track record of navigating ambiguity, articulating a strategic vision and motivating and developing others to achieve it.
- Able to develop strong relationships at every level, from external client decision makers, to subject matter experts to internal practitioners.
- Storyteller and persuasive communicator who is excited to present to clients, prospects, and senior stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen with an eye for identifying new opportunities.
- Comfortable speaking technical language and working with Product and Design teams to deliver the best learning experience possible.
- Experience assessing learner needs, determining learning goals, and proposing a comprehensive learning strategy.
- Direct experience and fluency working with a variety of modern tools and technologies used in formal and informal learning settings (e.g. LMS’s, collaboration tools, authoring tools, assessment tools, mobile learning).
- Eagerness to dive in and get your hands dirty when needed.
What we offer:
- Extension Engine’s guiding principle is to “Do the Right Thing.” This means for our team members and our clients.
- Our connections---our relationships---are our most valuable assets and at Extension Engine, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with a group of curious, humble, transparent, and quirky people who are laser focused on outcomes. Our current team members are parents, woodworkers, apple sauce canners, marathon runners, international trekkers, and accomplished musicians---just to name a few.
- We know that the right benefits and perks enable team members to do their best work and live their best lives. We look at benefits and perks holistically and focus on what really matters.
- Starting with the basics, we offer a competitive salary, and pay for the majority of health and dental insurance so that you can get the right care when you need it.
- Short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance cover your worst case scenarios.
- From there, a wellness stipend helps you get and stay healthy, flexible work hours and time-off allow you fulfill your other responsibilities and do the things you love, and a top notch 401k helps you worry a little less about the future.
- We have a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other’s unique perspectives, backgrounds, and abilities, and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
- We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Who we are:
Extension Engine is a services firm that helps higher education institutions, nonprofit organizations, and learning businesses create Custom Learning Experiences — online learning as unique as their vision and brand. We deliver by working closely with our clients to imagine the best solutions for their learners and business. We urge our clients to rethink every aspect of the learning landscape in order to help them design a unique vision. We then build innovative educational solutions to meet their vision while being agnostic about technology. We help our clients grow by building internal knowledge and capacity — through launching the program, co-operating, and then transferring — thereby enabling them to expand on what we’ve created together, with or without us.