Senior Learning Experience Designer
Cambridge, MA /
Learning Experience /
COVID rocked our world and the way we think about education. Now that the storm seems to have been weathered, the world's leading universities and most innovative nonprofits are working to rebuild and re-envision their long term approaches to learning without traditional campuses and classrooms. That’s why we need you, as an advocate for learner-centered design, with a passion for the convergence of learning science and technology, to work with us to chart the way forward.
We are searching for a Senior Learning Experience (LX) Designer to own LX design and content work, develop key relationships with subject matter experts, guide clients through critical learning decisions and advise on their efforts to build new capabilities---Someone to transform digital education to thrive in this new order.
The Senior LX Designer will call our brand new office in the heart of Harvard Square home. The role reports to the Director of LX and may mentor team members.
What You'll Do
- Utilize best practices and current thinking from learning science and educational technology to design and develop highly effective, engaging learning experiences and content.
- Analyze clients’ learning-related challenges and opportunities, including learning proposition, learning goals, key differentiators, learner personas, and metrics of learner success and iterate on deliverables based on emerging needs.
- Engage subject matter experts (SMEs) in the discovery and creation of learning outcomes, assessments, content maps, activity types, and content. Develop new processes and tools for engaging SMEs.
- Create and manage high-quality, aligned teaching and learning content through all stages of production that promotes understanding, engagement, and transfer of learning.
- Design rigorous and holistic assessments that measure the achievement of learning outcomes. Promotes the evaluation of program effectiveness through metrics and data.
- Advise clients on efforts to build internal capacity for learning design, content creation, and program support.
Who You Are
- 6+ years of experience in instructional design or learning experience: assessing learner needs, determining learning goals, proposing a comprehensive learning strategy, creating high-quality teaching and learning content and templates.
- Passion for learning and remaining on the cutting edge of current thinking in learning science and educational technology, and an ability to present a nuanced perspective on these issues in strategic and technical conversations.
- Bias for solutions design approach; leveraging research, ideation, prototyping, and testing in the discovery and design of teaching and learning solutions. Able to iterate based on emerging trends and needs.
- Experience working directly with subject matter experts to manage their contributions and diplomatically align their perspective and thinking to best serve project needs.
- Strong, communicative, collaborator with a track record of working closely with other teams, such as Product Managers and UI/UX Designers to achieve project objectives within deadlines and budgets.
- Familiarity with a variety of modern tools and technologies used in formal and informal learning settings (e.g. LMS’s, collaboration tools, assessment tools, mobile learning) and understanding of when to use each.
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity, flexible mindset, and ability to work with autonomy to deliver on precise deadlines.
What We Offer
- Extension Engine’s guiding principle is to “Do the Right Thing.” This means for our team members and our clients.
- Our connections---our relationships---are our most valuable assets and at Extension Engine, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with a group of curious, humble, transparent, and quirky people who are laser focused on outcomes. Our current team members are parents, woodworkers, apple sauce canners, marathon runners, international trekkers, and accomplished musicians---just to name a few.
- We know that the right benefits and perks enable team members to do their best work and live their best lives. We look at benefits and perks holistically and focus on what really matters.
- Starting with the basics, we offer a competitive salary, and pay for the majority of health and dental insurance so that you can get the right care when you need it.
- Short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance cover your worst case scenarios.From there, a wellness stipend helps you get and stay healthy, flexible work hours and time-off allow you fulfill your other responsibilities and do the things you love, and a top notch 401k match helps you worry a little less about the future.
- We have a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other’s unique perspectives, backgrounds, and abilities, and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
- We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Who We Are
Extension Engine is a services firm that helps higher education institutions, nonprofit organizations, and learning businesses create Custom Learning Experiences — online learning as unique as their vision and brand. We deliver by working closely with our clients to imagine the best solutions for their learners and business. We urge our clients to rethink every aspect of the learning landscape in order to help them design a unique vision. We then build innovative educational solutions to meet their vision while being agnostic about technology. We help our clients grow by building internal knowledge and capacity — through launching the program, co-operating, and then transferring — thereby enabling them to expand on what we’ve created together, with or without us.