Principal Software Systems Engineer -8278
San Jose, California, United States /
Products – Engineering /
Extreme Networks Named to Computerworld’s 2023 List of Best Places to Work in IT!
Over 50,000 customers globally trust our end-to-end, cloud-driven networking solutions and rely on our top-rated services and support to accelerate their digital transformation efforts and deliver progress like never before and with double digit growth year over year, no provider is better positioned to deliver better outcomes on scale, than Extreme.
We believe in “walking the walk” of our strong core values which enable us to successfully advance together. Diversity and Inclusion is a vital part of our values and beliefs, and we’re proud to foster an environment where every Extreme employee can thrive.
Come become part of something big with us! We are a global leader, with hubs in North America, South America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and the Middle East.
Principal Software Systems Engineer
What we are looking for:
Extreme Networks is seeking enthusiastic, innovative and self-motivated experienced engineers to lead, design and implement best in class solutions for Extreme’s next generation Enterprise Fabric Network Solutions. The successful candidate will be a key influencer within a team, responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting high quality embedded systems software in the area of data networking.
What the team does:
We are a high energy, high performance and collaborative team working on next generation IP Fabric Solutions targeting the needs of major ISPs in 5G network infrastructure.
· Design and architecture for next-generation networking Software
· Ramp up quickly to independently Design, develop and maintain high quality embedded systems software in the area of data networking
· Participate and provide feedback on designs across all modules of the product
· Collaborate with other technical leaders in the company for architecting and developing a highly scalable and performing product
· Work with cross-functional leaders in a multi-site environment to solve and accomplish the project goals
· Provide mentorship to junior team members and work closely with them to deliver projects
· Support and solve complex customer problems and escalations
· Work closely with other functional groups including QA and Customer Engineering teams
· BE/Masters in CS/EE or related field with 10+ years relevant experience
· Proven track record of working on cutting edge technologies and contributing to successful networking product releases
· Experience in design and architecture of highly performing and scalable SW modules on switches/routers
· Strong knowledge of Layer-3 Routing protocols – TCP/IP, IPv4/IPv6, OSPF, BGP4, PIM, PIMSM/SSM, MPLS, VPLS, VXLAN
· Strong Knowledge of Layer 2 Ethernet Switching
· Strong understanding of Data Plane/Forwarding concepts
· In-depth understanding of Linux operating systems and embedded software development
· Expert programming knowledge in C/C++
· Experience in trouble shooting memory leaks, performance bottlenecks
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Ability to be productive in flexible and dynamic work environments
· Experience in leading and mentoring junior members
· Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
· Experience with successful multi-site development projects
Desirable to have
· Programming experience in Golang
· Experience developing SW in Agile/Scrum environment
· Experience in CI/CD and DevOps tools like Git, Jenkins, Jira etc.
· Experience with Kubernetes, Containers and microservice architectures
· Working experience on Broadcom Layer2/Layer3 data path ASICS
#LI - ME1
Extreme Networks, Inc. (EXTR) creates effortless networking experiences that enable all of us to advance. We push the boundaries of technology leveraging the powers of machine learning, artificial intelligence, analytics, and automation. Over 50,000 customers globally trust our end-to-end, cloud-driven networking solutions and rely on our top-rated services and support to accelerate their digital transformation efforts and deliver progress like never before. For more information, visit Extreme's website or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Come Advance with us! In keeping with our values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Extreme Networks also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our organization. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Extreme Networks.