Senior Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Core Engineering /
Real Estate is the largest industry in the US. At Fabrica we are redesigning its tech stack.
We are building a future where Real Estate operations will be performed at the speed and accuracy of software. Buying or selling a house, refinancing your mortgage, investing in properties or building your next Real Estate startup will be powered by software and creativity instead of paperwork and rubber stamps.
We’re replumbing the whole stack, starting from the very foundations.
We love getting our hands dirty, tackling hard problems with advanced technologies and solving complex regulatory issues. We are radical innovators: we focus on long-term impact and settling for incremental improvements is against our nature.
Today we’re entering the market helping Land Professionals to buy and sell properties fully online. Once established in that segment, we’ll enter the Residential market.
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll lead the design and implementation of high-impact core components of our technology. You’ll build software to support today’s product with a long term approach, laying the foundations for tomorrow’s needs.
You’ll ensure everything runs smoothly under the hood. The rest of the tech team will rely on the components you’ll build to execute mission critical operations, safely and with certainty.
You’ll document and teach your peers how to use the components and discuss the design choices you’ll make. You’ll have frequent opportunities to showcase your achievements and work closely with the CTO and CEO to define the tech roadmap.
You’ll learn how Real Estate works under the hood and work with other Proptech companies. You’ll have the opportunity to play, learn and experiment with distributed technologies, protocols and smart contracts.
You will improve the reliability, scalability of the platform and the speed at which we ship innovation to our customers.
You’ll join a team where everyone - including you - is passionate and fully committed to change the Real Estate industry with our skills and know-how. Combined we’ve decades of experience in all kinds of technologies, product development, real estate.
We are a Startup: as one of the first members of the team you’ll face uncertainty, limited resources and problems that seem impossible to solve. But you’ll also get the extreme gratification and sense of achievement of epic adventures. You’ll be surrounded by people that will help you learn, risk and express your potential both in the good moments and when the challenges come.
The Tech Stack
We use a mix of decentralized solutions and more traditional technologies. Each property on our platform is represented as an ERC721 token on Ethereum. Properties’ legal documents and metadata are stored on IPFS. We adhere to standards so we can plug in with other Smartcontracts and enable interoperability with new protocols (e.g.: 0x) and applications.
Within one month you will:
- Learn what happens in the lifecycle of a property on Fabrica from a technical perspective
- Learn the key processes that happen in a Real Estate transaction
- Get familiar with all the components in our stack by reviewing the code
- Complete your first engineering project
Within three months you will:
- Refactor the code of the APIs that are used from our frontend to operate on the tokens
- Identify components that are critical from a security perspective and review them
- Design, build and support your first big feature!
Within six months you will:
- Lay down solid foundations to support new features, scalability and geographies
- Redesign how transactions involving a payment plan (financing) are executed
- Have made a visible impact on the product for all users
- Have a clear understanding of what needs to be build over the next 12 months
- Enjoy your first company offsite!
Within twelve months you will:
- Be so confident about what’s in production that you’ll load your own house on Fabrica
- Present your work at a technical conference
- Design and build new components to support several operations (e.g.: integration with third parties to notarize signatures and record documents at local government, service to store, update and cache documents to/from decentralized storage, etc)
- Release a set of public API / framework to let third parties build apps on the Fabrica platform
- CS degree or equivalent experience
- Solid foundations in design patterns and complex service architectures
- Proficient knowledge of Database technologies - RDBMS / NoSQL
- Proficient in the use of version control / source code management tools
- Knowledge of front-end web technologies (HTML/CSS) and React
- Knowledge of security patterns, authentications systems and best practices
- Knowledge of distributed systems, Ethereum smartcontracts
- Knowledge of AWS, basic linux administration, lambdas, database services
- Familiarity with blockchain inner mechanisms and concepts such as PoW, PoS
- Familiarity with the Ethereum ecosystem: protocols, relevant projects and players
- Basic understanding of cryptography