Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist
Fabric Genomics is looking for an experienced, self-motivated, bioinformatics/computational biology expert who can work effectively in a dynamic startup environment and want to help shape the future of precision medicine.
You will focus on developing bioinformatics tools to annotate and analyze very large genomic data sets to be used in clinical applications. You must be passionate about extracting insights from large data sets and in using quantitative analysis to answer complex questions. Your knowledge of the life sciences, genomic databases and tools, and clinical variant analysis will enable you to identify new opportunities to enhance our product.
You will collaborate with data scientists and engineers, guiding others to develop novel techniques for analyzing genomic data with the goal of obtaining actionable insight, reduce costs, and improve accuracy.
- Develop and maintain pipelines and systems for integration of multiple and heterogenous genomic and clinical annotation databases, public and proprietary.
- Develop analysis strategies and visualizations to help provide insights to interpret genomic data for clinical diagnostics and other applications.
- Develop processes and methods to improve transparency and reliability of applications, and to perform quality assessment of genomic and clinical content.
- Work with engineers to achieve greater understanding of the subject domain and customer needs for the development of clinical reporting software.
- PhD with strong background in computational biology or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in industry bioinformatics/computational biology positions of increasing responsibility.
- Experience developing software/pipelines in Python, SQL, Perl, C/C++ or Java.
- Excellent knowledge of genomics, high-throughput sequencing applications, clinical tools and databases, and a general business acumen in life sciences industry and markets.
- Significant experience developing software for deployment on Linux/Unix and cloud services.
- Experience with containers (Docker), distributed data stores and computing frameworks such as Spark is highly desirable.
- Ability of independent thinking and problem solving.
- Obsesses over getting the details right but pragmatic to ensure on-time releases.
- Team player with excellent communication and evidence of leadership skills.
- A publication track record on computational biology/bioinformatics is a plus.
Candidates must have pre-existing US work authorization. Local candidates strongly preferred.