California - Los Angeles /
Fanatics Collectibles – Marketing & Communications /
Fanatics is building a leading global digital sports platform. The company ignites the passions of global sports fans and maximizes the presence and reach for hundreds of sports partners globally by offering innovative products and services across Fanatics Commerce, Fanatics Collectibles, and Fanatics Betting & Gaming, allowing sports fans to Buy, Collect and Bet. Through the Fanatics platform, sports fans can buy licensed fan gear, jerseys, lifestyle and streetwear products, headwear, and hardgoods; collect physical and digital trading cards, sports memorabilia, and other digital assets; and bet as the company builds its Sportsbook and iGaming platform. Fanatics has an established database of over 100 million global sports fans, a global partner network with over 900 sports properties, including major national and international professional sports leagues, teams, players associations, athletes, celebrities, colleges, and college conferences, and over 2,000 retail locations, including its Lids retail business stores.
As a market leader with more than 18,000 employees, and hundreds of partners, suppliers, and vendors worldwide, we take responsibility for driving toward more ethical and sustainable practices. We are committed to building an inclusive Fanatics community, reflecting and representing society at every level of the business, including our employees, vendors, partners and fans. Fanatics is also dedicated to making a positive impact in the communities where we all live, work, and play through strategic philanthropic initiatives.
Fanatics Collectibles is looking for VP of Communications for our growing Marketing & Media team. In this role, the VP will develop and define the communications strategy for the Fanatics Collectibles business which includes the brands, products, events, partners, and talent. Additionally, the VP plays a key role in protecting the Fanatics Collectibles reputation, managing issues through crises communication, and enforcing organization guidelines.
The Communications team actively manages all external communication and partners with external media that matter/agencies and cross-functional marketing teams to share and amplify the key messages. The team must also develop and maintain strong partnerships with Executive Leadership, Product, Legal, and HR to play a key role in advising on communications.
This role is ideal for someone who is calm under pressure, a critical thinker, an excellent writer, and editor and attentive to detail – in fact, always thinking two steps ahead to take preventative measures, and someone who is an excellent time manager to pivot quickly as issues arise.
This position will be responsible for handling a wide variety of duties, which include, but are not limited to the ones listed below.
- Develop campaigns to target and engage priority audiences and endemic trade; generate excitement with media that matter and opinion leaders.
- In partnership Marketing leadership, lead the development and execution of communications strategy.
- Partner and manage external agencies to create plans that amplify our communications campaigns & assets.
- Evaluate the potential media impact of products, talent, and event concepts as a counterpart to Marketing.
- Be constantly aware of emerging trends products and technologies and identify opportunities to apply new technologies, products, and services to campaigns.
- Devise buzzworthy PR national moments and campaigns to elevate the overall message, bringing new perspectives and vision.
- Develop, maintain, and nurture media and opinion leader relationships.
- Proactively and reactively pitch media outlets for coverage across relevant corporate, consumer, and lifestyle media.
- Identify and oversee necessary tools needed for optimal story telling.
- Develop and share best practices.
- Work effectively under pressure and utilize strong project management skills to meet deadlines.
ISSUES MANAGEMENT/CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS
- Draft reactive statements for media inquiries; advise on communication to consumers/third-parties regarding sensitive issues.
- Actively monitor press coverage to identify areas where clarification is needed to protect corporate reputation; Develop appropriate statement/s in timely manner.
- Establish relationships with key industry groups, collaborating as appropriate.
- Work closely with social teams to review issues management protocols and planning.
- Work cohesively across teams and departments as reputation issues arise.
- Handle all incoming corporate-related press requests, involving the right team members as necessary for review and alignment.
- Manage and direct “Publicist” functions for Executive Leadership.
- Work with HR and Legal to draft and align on sensitive communication – executive arrivals, executive departures, changes impacting employees, etc.
- Own distribution of updates to corporate guidelines for Fanatics Collectibles employees.
- Review and approve all third-party press releases from a corporate lens.
- 15+ years’ experience in high-pace, in-house issues management/corporate communication role for high profile brand.
- Minimum of two years of managing a team.
- Understanding – both consumer and trends - of the diverse media landscape.
- Crisis management experience necessary.
- Ability to work autonomously while taking direction from leadership.
- Ability to lead by example as a coach and mentor to others.
- Track record of innovation and delivering results against tight deadlines.
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, editing, verbal and presentations.
- Strong planning, prioritization, budgetary and project management competencies.
- Creative thinker and innovator; in touch with digital, culture, trends, etc.
- Able to travel as needed; work flexible hours/days of week and weekends.
$205,000 - $255,000 a year
The salary range for this position is $205,000- $255,000, which represents base pay only and does not include short-term or long-term incentive compensation. When determining base pay, as part of a final compensation package, we consider several factors such as location, experience, qualifications, and training.
Ensure your Fanatics job offer is legitimate and don’t fall victim to fraud. Fanatics never seeks payment from job applicants. Feel free to ask your recruiter for a phone call or other type of communication for interview, and ensure your communication is coming from a Fanatics or Fanatics Brand email address. For added security, where possible, apply through our company website at www.fanaticsinc.com/careers
Tryouts are open at Fanatics! Our team is passionate, talented, unified, and charged with creating the fan experience of tomorrow. The ball is in your court now.
Fanatics is committed to responsible planning and purchasing (RPP) practices, working with its business partners across its global and multi-layered supply chain, to ensure that planning, sourcing, and purchasing decisions, along with other supporting processes, do not impede or conflict with the fulfillment of Fanatics’ fair labor practices.