Head of Engineering
United Kingdom, Manchester
Fanatics is the global leader in licensed sports merchandise and changing the way fans purchase their favorite team apparel and jerseys. Through an innovative, tech-infused approach to making and selling fan gear in today's on-demand culture, Fanatics operates more than 300 online and offline stores, including the e-commerce business for all major professional sports leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, MLS, PGA), major media brands (NBC Sports, CBS Sports, FOX Sports) and more than 200 collegiate and professional team properties, which include several of the biggest global soccer clubs (Manchester United, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City). Fanatics offers the largest collection of timeless and timely merchandise whether shopping online, on your phone, in stores, in stadiums or on-site at the world's biggest sporting events.
About the Team
Fanatics is first and foremost a technology company. We are powered by cutting-edge tech created by our small agile teams using the latest tools and technologies under our highly analytical, forward thinking, and open-minded leadership. As the global leader in licensed sports merchandise, we challenge ourselves by improving our new fully responsive NodeJS cloud commerce platform, Elasticsearch engine, and deep data science capabilities while building the best-in-class retail manufacturing and supply chain technologies. Our tech teams work together to revolutionize data science and engineering initiatives, provide highly scalable real-time and streaming platforms, and create secure e-commerce and in-stadium fan experience products. Our own e-commerce platform transacts in over 190 countries, 17 languages, and 14 currencies. Our motto is “#GSD”—get stuff done—and we do just that. If you want to be at the nexus of sports, commerce, and technology, come be a part of our industry-leading team here at Fanatics Tech.
The Head of Engineering role is responsible for leading engineering efforts in our Manchester office, reporting to Technology Director.
The role will oversee the development of the Manchester-based platforms and services that run all of Fanatics International owned sites and our partner sites. We are looking for a visionary technical leader to take the performance and efficiency of these technology platforms to the next level, as well as providing leadership for our Manchester operations. In this role, you will combine your technical vision with business judgment in making decisions and guiding the teams. You will join the technology leadership team and be the primary owner in building high-performance teams, driving innovation, technology roadmaps and delivery of customer-centric systems.
You will be executing in a fast-paced environment, driving for results and continuous improvements to evolve the fan experience.
Successful candidates will be a strong leader who can prioritise well, will be highly quantitative, passionate about customer experience, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery.
The role requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and people focus.
The Ideal Candidate:
• Must be technically credible to lead teams of world-class software and quality assurance engineers, and be able to make the right design decisions and technology choices
• Deep understanding of overall systems development life cycle including various methodologies (agile, waterfall, iterative)
• Able to promote the product ownership model
• Experienced in developing the long-term strategy for technology platforms working closely with architects
• Experienced building and managing teams that designs and delivers scalable, extensible complex distributed systems
• Understands how to scope and justify resource and budget needs to senior leaders and finance partners
• Knows how to effectively operate technology platforms which are highly reliable
• Experience of applying best-practice engineering methodologies to solutions delivered with a variety of open source and proprietary technologies
• Well-versed in agile development methodologies
• Works closely with Product to define and deliver roadmap across a variety of complex product domains
• Can balance business-driven projects with high value, critical, innovative technology work
• Has a passion for people growth and mentorship and creating a high-trust culture
• Knows how to balance detailed involvement with teams with stepping back to promote the culture of reliable independence and strong ownership
• Be able to effectively articulate complex technical challenges and solutions to stakeholders across the business, regardless of their technical acumen
Skills and Experience
• Minimum 5+ years of management experience
• Minimum 10+ years of software development experience in a commercial environment
• Leading high performing engineering teams (30-50 people) of mixed disciplines across engineering and testing
• Strong organisational planning and development skills
• Experience in defining and executing ways of working e.g. agile
• Experience of introducing or improving product-aligned ways of working
• Ecommerce knowledge and experience
• Background in delivering enterprise-level solutions using approaches such as service-oriented architecture and decoupled event-based systems
• Worked with platforms comprised of the diverse technology stack and polyglot programming environment
• Experience of delivering cloud-based solutions, ideally on AWS
• Technical leadership
• Strong communication skills, ability to build a lasting relationship and influential networking both internally and externally
• Cognizant of the end-user/customer experience while developing the platform capabilities
• Ability to lead multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or technology projects and initiatives
• An analytical mind that thrives in a data-driven environment
Tryouts are open at Fanatics! Our team is passionate, talented, unified, and charged with creating the fan experience of tomorrow. The ball is in your court now.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS/APPLICANTS: In connection with your application, we collect information that identifies, reasonably relates to or describes you (“Personal Information”). The categories of Personal Information that we collect include your name, government issued identification number(s), email address, mailing address, other contact information, emergency contact information, employment history, educational history, criminal record, and demographic information. We collect and use those categories of Personal Information about you for human resources and other business management purposes, including identifying and evaluating you as a candidate for potential or future employment or future contract positions, recordkeeping in relation to recruiting and hiring, conducting criminal background checks as permitted by law, conducting analytics, and ensuring compliance with applicable legal requirements and Company policies.