San Francisco, CA
We're looking for people with positive attitudes, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to hustle in a fast-paced work environment!
We love what we do and we're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as we are. Prior floral experience isn't required. What we DO require is a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to hustle. Not to scare you, but we want to be completely transparent with our expectations – most jobs at Farmgirl are not strictly desk jobs. We all hustle hard – often on our feet – for a significant portion of each day. And we have a lot of fun while we do it. We all help out in other areas as needed, so the ability to flex is extremely important. But, did I mention that we have fun too? Because we do!
Unlike many companies, advanced education is not a requirement at Farmgirl. We believe that the best individuals come with varied backgrounds and experiences, and value work ethic, problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, and a positive attitude more than a specific degree.
Farmgirl Flowers is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
San Francisco, CA
Exempt, Full Time
Compensation: $70K/year + full medical benefits, PTO, and 401K
Reports to: Design Manager
About this role:
We’re looking for a highly qualified and motivated Procurement Manager to join our team. To start, you’ll be a lean team of two, however we’ll be adding team members as we continue our fast growth pace. Our ideal candidate will love the opportunity to work in a fast paced, scrappy start-up environment and build out their own dream procurement department. You won’t be walking into a department that’s already on autopilot – you’ll need to be able to strategize and implement solutions for immediate problems and to accommodate rapid future growth. The ideal candidate is forward thinking, has exceptional negotiation and problem solving skills, is self motivated with an exceptional work ethic, and is someone who doesn’t get flustered by quick pivots and constant change. You’ll also need to be a great communicator (on the phone, not just electronically!), and great at spreadsheets, projections, and financial modeling. You’ll need to be firm and not afraid of direct communication to succeed in this role.
As a Procurement Manager, you'll be excited to:
- Work with the team! Collaborate with the Design Manager on flower recipes, and place all flower orders each week. This is the main function of this role. It may sound easy, and even fun (shopping with company money – heck yeah, right?!). Well, sorta. But there’s a lot to it, actually.
- Manage all transportation of the product to our distribution center(s). You’ll be managing all areas of the logistics from the farm or wholesalers' door to our distribution center. You’ll also be establishing relationships, negotiating terms, managing processes, and all other facets of the transportation relationships and processes.
- Work with the receiving department(s) to ensure all product meets our rigorous quality standards, and when not, communicate with the farm or wholesaler and ensure credit is received. We currently only have one distribution center, but that will be changing in the very near future, so you’ll need to work with the receiving departments in multiple locations daily. Credit requests need to be made within 24 hours, so timeliness and exceptional communication is critical for this role.
- Pay bills each week and track all actuals against projections to reconcile flower cost each week.
- Work with the CEO on negotiating prices with farms, wholesalers, trucking and consolidation companies, manufacturing partners of hard goods, etc.
- Build out SOPs for the procurement department to ensure success as we grow. If you’re looking for a role with lots of upward mobility potential and aren’t afraid to put in the time and elbow grease, this role has the potential to grow exponentially in the near future.
- Do some domestic and international travel (required). Bonus points for fluency in Spanish.
- If the below five attributes sum you up perfectly, you’d probably be amazing at this role. If not, no worries, kudos on your self awareness (it’s pretty rare actually), and we hope one of our other positions might be a better fit!
- If spreadsheeting were a sport, you’d be in the Olympics! – You’re super organized and love Excel (not just google docs!). Our goal is that you’d love to create Excel models for fun (really). We can’t stress this enough – you’ll need to be highly self-motivated to learn and gain the skills to improve our current systems as we continue to scale to improve efficiencies. You can set, follow, and reconcile budgets. Our flower costs are not a guideline, they’re basically law, so you must be able to work within them as your success will be based on this.
- Communication is your JAM. You even like talking on the phone – like in real life voice communication. You don’t get annoyed (too much, anyway) when your voicemail is full before you finish your first cup of coffee in the morning. You are direct but kind, can say no and do so on the reg', and no one’s ever called you a pushover. You will be the primary contact for Farmgirl Flowers with all farms, wholesalers, transportation and consolidation companies, Department of Agriculture, and US Customs. Your communication and follow-through should be an 11 on a 10-point scale. You’ll need to be comfortable using non-traditional forms of communication like WhatsApp and Skype with some of our international farms. You’ll need to be available on nights and weekends via phone as needed.
- Great relationship builder - Relationships are very important in our industry, so you’ll need to earn the trust of the growers and sales managers you’ll work with – which is earned by doing what you say you’re going to. If you say you’ll have your order to them every Tuesday at 2pm, you need to ensure you have your order to them no later than that time every single week.
- Extremely adaptable and phenomenal at problem solving – True story: there will be weeks when 25% of your confirmed orders do not come in. The positive – it used to be 80%, so it’s much lower now! ☺ Our product is dependent on mother nature, transportation that can break down, and customs that can stop any and all shipments that they want to. There are a myriad of things that aren’t in our control. If you’re the type of person is getting hives just reading this, do not apply for this role. You must be able to roll with the punches and come up with a plan b, c, d, and all the way to z on a drop of a dime. If problem-solving and adaptability are #1 and #2 on your skill list, and you actually get excited about finding creative solutions to problems like this, you may love this role!
- You’re a lone wolf that loves being part of the pack – You love to work autonomously, and are self motivated to not only do your work, but create systems and procedures for your one person department that will enable it to scale quickly. The thought of someone telling you what to do every minute of the day, and creating all your processes for you sounds like the worst thing ever to you. You also love working collaboratively on a high-performing team and know that we’re way better together than as solo performers.
Farmgirl is excited about you because...
You're highly self-motivated – You identify tasks and you do them! You don't need micromanagement to get the job done.
You're a "we" person – You’re a team player who knows that great teamwork is really what gets results.
You're cool under pressure – You can handle high-pressure moments with composure, excellent problem solving and can keep your team motivated and positive when the pressure is on.
You're an excellent problem solver – You actively think about any problem you encountered at work, and try to come up with a solution. You always have three ways to fix something and you can't rest until you find a solution.
You have a positive can-do attitude – You'll need to be motivated, and motivate those around you to be high performers, with a positive attitude. We believe negativity kills teamwork and it doesn't fly here.
You'll work to get the job done – Long hours are required during peak flower holidays, and will require mandatory overtime and blackout periods on PTO. Valentine's Day, Administrative Professionals Day, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas are all peak times for us. We'll work overnight shifts (sometimes 1am - 2pm) and hustle hard to get all the orders out and then we'll all celebrate our hard work when it's done!
You'll love working at Farmgirl because...
We are a successful, profitable, well capitalized, fast-growing company
We create products that bring joy to hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of people's lives each day
We lead the industry for product quality and customer service
We get to build an amazing company and team built on respect and empowering and supporting one another
We're scrappy and get to see the fruits of our labor in real time each and every day
We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
As a 100% e-commerce business, we are technologically focused and data-driven
We get to be creative every day and build a great company, without red tape or bureaucracy
We have an amazing team and company culture that you'll love being a part of
We have an impressively smart and dedicated CEO and management team who are focused on developing all team members in the organization
Competitive salaries and comprehensive health benefits
Our goal is to be a company that we would want to buy from, sell to, and work for. For us, this means doing the right thing even when it is the difficult thing. We live these ideals by providing jobs that pay above the minimum wage with good benefits and 401Ks. We also do this by occasionally taking a stand on what some may consider controversial issues that we feel are important to us both as a business and as people. When we take these stands, we do so under the Farmgirl Flowers brand. As an employee, we understand these views may be associated with you simply by your employment with us. Please understand that when we make public any beliefs we do not expect nor mandate our employees (or potential employees) to ascribe to these beliefs as well. For the sake of transparency, we believe it is important you understand what Farmgirl Flowers stands for as you consider joining our team.
Physical Demands and Warehouse Environment
Farmgirl Flowers is located in a big, drafty warehouse in Potrero Hill. We function similarly to a manufacturing facility. The warehouse is raw, open space that can be cold and dirty (especially on busy days). Our workspace is pretty much the opposite of most SF startup environments you might be accustomed to. If a posh work space is a priority this might not be ideal for you. Appropriate attire will be expected for this environment.