Head of SF Operations
San Francisco, CA
We're looking for people with positive attitudes, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to hustle in a fast-paced work environment!
We love what we do and we're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as we are. Prior floral experience isn't required. What we DO require is a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to hustle. Not to scare you, but we want to be completely transparent with our expectations – most jobs at Farmgirl are not strictly desk jobs. We all hustle hard – often on our feet – for a significant portion of each day. And we have a lot of fun while we do it. We all help out in other areas as needed, so the ability to flex is extremely important. But, did I mention that we have fun too? Because we do!
Unlike many companies, advanced education is not a requirement at Farmgirl. We believe that the best individuals come with varied backgrounds and experiences, and value work ethic, problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, and a positive attitude more than a specific degree.
Farmgirl Flowers is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Head of SF Operations
Exempt, Full Time
Reports to: CEO
Salary: Dependent on experience. Benefits include medical/dental, PTO, and 401k
About the Role: Farmgirl Flowers is looking for an experienced, high energy, goal-oriented Head of SF Operations to oversee our rapidly growing operations in San Francisco, CA.
Farmgirl Flowers is an extremely fast paced, dynamic work environment. We’re looking for an experienced leader who can lead a growing team (100+) across six departments. As the Head of SF Operations, above all you will thrive in an operationally intense, fast growth manufacturing environment. You will captain daily operations, drive production strategy, and build teams and processes to support our rapid growth. We cannot stress enough that this is an extremely fast-paced operation, with growth between 50-100% YOY, so we need someone who will be excited, and thrive, in this exciting environment. We have built our reputation on providing products that exceed the highest quality of industry standards and delivering a best-in-class customer experience; you will ensure that these core values of Farmgirl continuously improve as we continue to double and triple in size. The Farmgirl team is positive, high energy, supportive, and above all – hard working problem solvers, you will need to roll your sleeves up to do this job!
Farmgirl’s next Head of SF Operations will be excited to have the opportunity to:
- Be an Inspirational Leader for Farmgirl Flowers – The Head of SF Operations is a senior level position in the Company, reporting to the CEO. Six department managers report into you - Design, Fulfillment, Customer Service, Events, and Warehouse. You’ll be responsible for all aspects of the operation, including all facets of daily floor management, people management, reporting and analysis, operational efficiencies, and future growth strategies. You’ll have the opportunity to hire the right candidates and build a best-in-class team. You’ll create a positive onboarding and training experience, mentor team members on succession planning, handle all disciplinary procedures with fairness and consistency, and help to build an exceptional team culture.
- Drive Operations and Process Improvement –The Head of SF Operations will be adept at thinking strategically about how to improve current department structures to maximize success and how best to scale our operations in the future. You’ll need to be able to independently create organizational plans and be comfortable communicating and advocating for change. You’ll need to foresee changes required to support growth and plan in advance for peak holidays. You’ll need to assess current operations and figure out better, more efficient ways to operate and roll out plans for how to execute. You will recognize that there is no status quo at Farmgirl and our culture is focused on growth and results while driving continuous improvement. Our ideal candidate will love to make things better and is someone who’s brain is always thinking about how to do just that.
- Lead Data Driven Growth – We’re looking for someone who will use data to make informed decisions about how best to run the operation. You will use these skills to inform and drive change in the organization and gain buy-in from all departments and team members. Recognizing that we create highly perishable products with very short lead times, you will underscore the importance of tracking every detail and acting on every variance. You’ll work with the CEO to lead to define, track, and ensure labor, materials, and other appropriate and actionable goals are met and work with all departments to correct processes when goals are missed. And you’ll use data to create strategies to maximize revenue, profits, and operational efficiencies.
- Command Internal Communication –You’ll need to effectively communicate Farmgirl’s strategy, values and growth plan in order to motivate the organization and inspire change. You value transparency and authenticity with your communication style and can speak both up and down the organization in a way that is relevant and impactful. You’ll need to be both positive and clear with your communication within your team and the across the organization as well.
- Leader of Team Culture and Development – You’ll need to work with your team to develop leaders across all levels of the organization. We look for and want to provide development opportunities for all team members which will allow them the ability to move up through the organization. Our goal is to provide a healthy and positive work environment with opportunities for growth to all who want and are willing to work for them. You’ll need to identify issues or missing resources that are negatively impacting employee productivity or morale, and find ways to fix or provide them.
Farmgirl is excited about you because…
- You have 5-10+ years of experience leading operationally intensive and fast paced businesses (with 50%+ growth YOY)
- You’re adept at leading large teams of 100+ employees, including leaders of others (required)
- You are self-motivated and comfortable operating in environments with limited oversight, you know how to build departments from the ground up and are excited to do so
- You have fantastic communication skills and a desire to continue to develop professional and personal capabilities in yourself, your team and the organization
- You’re known for your positivity, creativity, and integrity
- You embrace change and effectively manage large teams through evolving targets and ambiguity
- You’re able to lead at the strategic level to connect details within the context of company and org level priorities while also able to roll your sleeves up and dive into the details as frequently as needed; and you know how to oscillate between the two
- You thrive under pressure, you can solve complex problems under tight deadlines
- You have a strong work ethic and you’re not afraid to put in long hours
- You are accountable for yourself and you hold your team accountable; you are detail oriented
- You love working with other teams and believe that collaboration across organizations is critical for success
- You must have a strong working knowledge of Excel, Power Point, and Word as well as the ability to adapt to new technologies as we implement them with our intended growth.
You'll love working at Farmgirl because...
We are a successful, profitable, well capitalized, fast-growing company
We create products that bring joy to hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of people's lives each day
We lead the industry for product quality and customer service
We get to build an amazing company and team built on respect and empowering and supporting one another
We're scrappy and get to see the fruits of our labor in real time each and every day
We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
As a 100% e-commerce business, we are technologically focused and data-driven
We get to be creative every day and build a great company, without red tape or bureaucracy
We have an amazing team and company culture that you'll love being a part of
We have an impressively smart and dedicated CEO and management team who are focused on developing all team members in the organization
Competitive salaries and comprehensive health benefits
Our goal is to be a company that we would want to buy from, sell to, and work for. For us, this means doing the right thing even when it is the difficult thing. We live these ideals by providing jobs that pay above the minimum wage with good benefits and 401Ks. We also do this by occasionally taking a stand on what some may consider controversial issues that we feel are important to us both as a business and as people. When we take these stands, we do so under the Farmgirl Flowers brand. As an employee, we understand these views may be associated with you simply by your employment with us. Please understand that when we make public any beliefs we do not expect nor mandate our employees (or potential employees) to ascribe to these beliefs as well. For the sake of transparency, we believe it is important you understand what Farmgirl Flowers stands for as you consider joining our team.
Physical Demands and Warehouse Environment
Farmgirl Flowers is located in a big, drafty warehouse in Potrero Hill. We function similarly to a manufacturing facility. The warehouse is raw, open space that can be cold and dirty (especially on busy days). Our workspace is pretty much the opposite of most SF startup environments you might be accustomed to. If a posh work space is a priority this might not be ideal for you. Appropriate attire will be expected for this environment.