San Francisco, CA
We're looking for people with positive attitudes, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to hustle in a fast-paced work environment!
We love what we do and we're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as we are. Prior floral experience isn't required. What we DO require is a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to hustle. Not to scare you, but we want to be completely transparent with our expectations – most jobs at Farmgirl are not strictly desk jobs. We all hustle hard – often on our feet – for a significant portion of each day. And we have a lot of fun while we do it. We all help out in other areas as needed, so the ability to flex is extremely important. But, did I mention that we have fun too? Because we do!
Unlike many companies, advanced education is not a requirement at Farmgirl. We believe that the best individuals come with varied backgrounds and experiences, and value work ethic, problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, and a positive attitude more than a specific degree.
Farmgirl Flowers is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Exempt, Full Time
Reports to: CEO
Salary: $65-70K + Benefits (which include medical/dental, PTO, and 401k)
About the Role Farmgirl Flowers is growing quickly and looking for a Staff Accountant to help us build the financial foundation to scale with our company’s growth. This position will have a hand in both designing and executing month-end close processes and reconciliations as well as helping run the day to day operations of the accounting function. This is our first internal accounting position (really!), so there is tremendous growth potential for this position. Our company operates in a fast-paced, operationally intensive, manufacturing environment, so we’re looking for someone who will be excited and thrive in an environment that is a bit untraditional, at least in Silicon Valley terms. The Farmgirl team is positive, high energy, supportive, and above all – hardworking problem solvers, you will need to roll your sleeves up to do this job! The position is located at our San Francisco, CA headquarters.
Farmgirl’s Staff Accountant will be excited to have the opportunity to:
- This position is our first internal accounting position at our company. We work with an external accounting company that you’ll continue to work with and manage the relationship
- Be responsible for all AP/AR at the company. As a D2C ecommerce company, we do not have extensive AR needs, so this is not as daunting as it may seem! You’ll ensure vendors are submitting invoices in a timely manner, as well as that we’re paying them on time.
- Manage the month-end close process with our external accounting company. Review and ensure accuracy of journal entries and account reconciliations and perform fluctuation analyses. You’ll help to drive efficiencies and improvements.
- Review bi-monthly and off-cycle payroll for all salaried and hourly employees to ensure accuracy
- Own compliance-related items, including compliance-related research, filings, sales and use tax and other indirect tax
- Assist in adjusting historical financial statements to become Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) compliant
- Assist in technical accounting research and support
- Assist in developing, documenting, and implementing policies and processes that will scale with growth
- Work collaboratively across teams, providing actionable insights to help drive optimal business decisions
- In the future, you’ll help have the opportunity to develop and grow the accounting team, guide and mentor direct reports, and provide training, feedback and coaching, so if you’re looking for a great company to grow with, this could be a great fit!
- Perform special projects or other duties as requested
Farmgirl will be excited about you because...
- You have 3+ years of overall accounting experience, with bonus points for public accounting and/or management experience
- You have experience with ecommerce or consumer goods companies
- You have startup experience (preferred but not required), as it will help you understand the scrappiness in which we operate from. Bonus point for system implementation experience as well.
- You are self-motivated and comfortable operating in environments with limited oversight, you know how to build departments from the ground up and are excited to do so
- You have fantastic communication skills and a desire to continue to develop professional and personal capabilities in yourself, your team and the organization
- You love working with other teams and believe that collaboration across organizations is critical for success
- You embrace change and are excited to work with a fast growing company and an even faster growing team!
- You have excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You enjoy identifying operational inefficiencies and implementing processes/systems to address the inefficiencies in order to achieve results
- You are a confident, energetic, team player who demonstrates good judgment and influences outcomes globally
- You are hardworking, detailed-oriented and demonstrates both a strong sense of ownership and good business sense
- You love Excel (no, really!) and have advanced knowledge it as well as word and powerpoint
- You have familiarity with various accounting software or can learn it quickly (e.g. Bench, QuickBooks, etc.)
You'll love working at Farmgirl because...
We are a successful, profitable, well capitalized, fast-growing company
We create products that bring joy to hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of people's lives each day
We lead the industry for product quality and customer service
We get to build an amazing company and team built on respect and empowering and supporting one another
We're scrappy and get to see the fruits of our labor in real time each and every day
We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
As a 100% e-commerce business, we are technologically focused and data-driven
We get to be creative every day and build a great company, without red tape or bureaucracy
We have an amazing team and company culture that you'll love being a part of
We have an impressively smart and dedicated CEO and management team who are focused on developing all team members in the organization
Competitive salaries and comprehensive health benefits
Our goal is to be a company that we would want to buy from, sell to, and work for. For us, this means doing the right thing even when it is the difficult thing. We live these ideals by providing jobs that pay above the minimum wage with good benefits and 401Ks. We also do this by occasionally taking a stand on what some may consider controversial issues that we feel are important to us both as a business and as people. When we take these stands, we do so under the Farmgirl Flowers brand. As an employee, we understand these views may be associated with you simply by your employment with us. Please understand that when we make public any beliefs we do not expect nor mandate our employees (or potential employees) to ascribe to these beliefs as well. For the sake of transparency, we believe it is important you understand what Farmgirl Flowers stands for as you consider joining our team.
Physical Demands and Warehouse Environment
Farmgirl Flowers is located in a big, drafty warehouse in Potrero Hill. We function similarly to a manufacturing facility. The warehouse is raw, open space that can be cold and dirty (especially on busy days). Our workspace is pretty much the opposite of most SF startup environments you might be accustomed to. If a posh work space is a priority this might not be ideal for you. Appropriate attire will be expected for this environment.