Senior Manufacturing Engineer - CNC
Chicago, IL /
Operations – Manufacturing /
We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes, but for what it makes possible for the world. Manufacturers have an important job to do, and it’s our job to provide them with the technology and expertise they need through the entire production process, from discovery and design to manufacturing and fulfillment.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer / CAM Engineer to join the Fast Radius team. This individual will work closely with both sales and operations to ensure an accurate estimating of CNC projects, help build out our auto-costing tools, and work with sales team and customers to ensure a high quality CNC product. This role will be the conduit between our sales team and our software team by helping facilitate technical CNC products to our customers as quickly as possible.
About the Job:
- Provide the sales team with quick-turn manufacturing cost estimates that will be submitted as formal quotes to customers
- Analyze drawings, CAD data, parts lists and other technical specifications to determine scope of work, accurate manufacturing cost with leadtime minimums
- Advise on the manufacturability / material selection / manufacturing method for all conventional manufacturing projects (CNC, Injection Molding, sheet metal)
- Troubleshoot in process manufacturing and design issues with Fast Radius, customer and supplier quality representatives
- Provide DFM feedback to improve overall ease of production and reduce overall costs
- Support transactional and enterprise sales with engineering services such as CAD modeling, reverse engineering, and customer engagement sessions
- Lead the development and iteration of costing models for primarily injection molding projects based on your fabrication expertise and understanding of cost drivers. Secondary focus on CNC, and other manufacturing processes.
- Circulate estimates to appropriate parties through internal system
- Host estimating training sessions to help lead and coach others in the estimation process
- A degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited university or equivalent apprenticeship background in CNC/CAM.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated success in a similar position
- Expert level understanding injection mold tooling including hands on experience
- 10 years experience working in a manufacturing environment / tooling shop
- Demonstrated experience in plastic injection mold tooling development, CAD layout, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Subject matter expert with CAM software
- Must have a “can-do” attitude with a desire to quickly turn around quotes
- Understanding of MRP fundamentals is preferred and implementation of new MRP systems
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve problems under pressure
- Highly effective computer skills, with demonstrated knowledge of ERP systems
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment and communicating with oversea suppliers and internal sales teams
- Currently living in Chicago or have the desire to move to Chicago
- Prior experience developing auto-quoting methodologies and algorithms
- Background and knowledge of ISO methodologies
Every day you can expect to work in an inclusive environment that makes excellence possible, where great work and ideas matter more than seniority. We believe in experimenting fearlessly and learning from our failures—quickly. Our leaders have grown successful companies before, and they understand that businesses thrive when capable people have the freedom to solve problems without constraints.
We want you to come to work happy, healthy, and balanced so you can expect excellent benefits:
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care including dental and vision
- Generous vacation policy as well as a 401K plan
Fast Radius is proud to be an equal opportunity employer because diverse perspectives make for better products, better processes, and a better company. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, Veteran status, or other protected status.