Photonics Packaging Engineer (Fiber Optics)
Boulder, Colorado /
Engineering/Research – Electronics /
We are searching for talented individuals who are driven to tackle the most ambitious goal of our time - building the computer hardware that enables the development of safe artificial general intelligence. See more at fathomradiant.co/aboutus
In our people, we above all value kindness, a scout mindset, a focus on improvement, and prioritising to get the right things done. We aim to help build one of the most transformative technologies in the world, with massive social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we are actively striving to have a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
About this role
We’re looking for a packaging engineer to help us design and optimize the optical interface and packaging for a custom optoelectronic device. At Fathom Radiant, you will work with a cross functional team of mechanical engineers, optical engineers, and optoelectronic device designers. You will lead the effort through concept, prototyping, and manufacturing. You will be responsible for interacting with various vendors and suppliers to procure parts and develop these systems.
Areas of contribution
- Design a comprehensive interface between optical fibers and electrical elements in our custom package.
- Design alignment and assembly process focused on high volume manufacturing techniques
- Work with cross-disciplinary peers to communicate and translate design and implementation constraints across the optical, mechanical, and semiconductor domains.
- Develop specifications and standards for testing and calibration of co-packaged optical links.
- Develop optical and thermomechanical loss, tolerance and error budgets for evaluation of optical links.
- Source optical, electrical and electronic components and manage external vendors.
Requirements for this role
- Proven background in development and implementation of optical fiber and/or micro-opto-electromechanical integration techniques, analyses and strategies.
- Familiarity with integration of optics into micro-electronics, such as optical fibers, camera lenses, or similar, ideally at the wafer level.
- Understanding of the dynamic response and environmentals (thermal, vib, etc.) affecting critical operational parameters
- Fluency in design techniques to integrate optics into silicon devices
- Good understanding of conventional and upcoming semiconductor packaging techniques.
- Strong hands-on background in fiber handling, fiber optic metrology, integration and statistical analyses of experimental data.
- 3D Mechanical CAD and ECAD experience in development of high-volume components.
- Theoretical understanding of micro-optical components in photonics, optical communication and advanced uLED packages.
$100,000 - $160,000 a year
For all roles, we target market salaries, with an additional benefits package. Our comprehensive benefits include startup equity, medical expenses coverage (including extra coverage for employees with a family).