About Fat Llama
What if owning things was no longer important? What if expensive, niche items could be available to you in seconds? And what if you could generate an extra income from your own belongings? At Fat Llama, we're already bringing about that future. We believe that one day, owning those things we only occasionally need will be as ridiculous as buying a house every time you want to go on holiday.
Our users enjoy on-demand access to anything from high-end cameras to drones to campervans. As a result, they're doing, creating and achieving incredible things every day. Income from rentals is changing the lives of many of our lenders, too - whether it's paying their rent or allowing them to drop corporate jobs and focus on passion projects.
The herd's growing fast, too. Last year we went through Y Combinator and recently announced a $10M raise from amazing investors to superpower our growth and focus on American expansion.
Fat Llama is looking for its first Engineering Manager to lead our growing Engineering team in London. This role is a unique opportunity to make a major impact on the engineering culture and technical direction at one of London's best funded Series A startups. This leader will be responsible for setting the foundations of engineering growth and mentoring a range of junior to senior engineers drawn from all over the world. You will operate with the aim of giving your leads a high level of autonomy while fostering their professional development, as well as ensuring the timely delivery of their product features, and monitoring code quality across the engineering organisation. You will also partner closely with the CTO and VP Engineering to handle the scaling of the team from 15 to 50+ engineers and beyond.
- Our Engineering Manager will be responsible for three key areas: Engineering Oversight, Product Delivery, Team Health:
- Line manage engineers working on Backend, Frontend, and Mobile.
- Improve and implement processes and values that scale with the team.
- Determine the key organisational structures that need to be added as the team scales from 15 to 50+ engineers.
- Unblock engineers as they run into complex and challenging technical problems to ensure timely product delivery.
- Actively monitor the code produced to ensure high standards are maintained across the product.
- Ensure that engineers are making sound technical and architecture decisions that align with product goals and help them make smart decisions about managing technical debt while creating new features.
- Work directly with engineers to mentor their abilities and figure the best ways to grow their technical and professional abilities. Operate on principles of encouraging high autonomy and end-to-end ownership.
- Identify team needs for hiring, retention, and development.
Core Traits of our Engineering Leader
- You have at least 4.5+ years of industry experience in a software engineering role.
- You have at least 2 years of experience as a technical lead on a team.
- You have experience mentoring engineers on a one-to-one basis.
- You have experience leading, coaching and, mentoring local and high performing teams.
- You have experience interviewing, setting hiring goals, and reviewing the candidate assessment process.
- You have strong opinions on effective engineering culture with examples of how you implemented these key principles.
- You have worked with backend, frontend, and mobile languages and frameworks.
- You have experience building products with microservices architecture.
- You have experience working with AWS-based platforms.
- You are an expert on one technical area (e.g. language, distributive system framework).
- You are very much in touch with technical developments even if they have not directly worked on them.
- You have a Bachelors, Masters or foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
Technologies that we work with
- In terms of infrastructure, everything is hosted on AWS, on either Elastic Beanstalk or ECS. We use several AWS products including Lambda, S3, Cloudfront, Cloudwatch, and others. On the frontend we use React, Redux, and Styled-components.
- For our mobile app we use React Native.
- Role based in London working with local teams
- Highly competitive salary and equity
- Relocation support, worldwide
- Applications open: February 1, 2019
- Applications close: March 1, 2019
Bringing your whole Llama to work
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.