Head of Engineering - Digital Healthcare
New York, NY /
Fern Health is pioneering digital care for people with musculoskeletal (MSK) pain - helping them avoid surgeries, return to work, and get back to doing the things they love.
We are looking for an experienced and mission-driven Head of Engineering to join our Senior Leadership Team, reporting to the CEO. The Head of Engineering will be a partner to other members of the leadership team, in charge of advancing the development of our MSK Digital Therapeutic app. The ideal candidate’s expertise covers architecture, team-building, cross-group collaboration, data and analytics, data-driven decision making, HIPAA compliance, and software development. They will be an inspiring leader to their teams; a coach, mentor, and supervisor who creates high performing teams that deliver with passion, speed, and quality without compromising any of these dimensions. This is an opportunity to be a part of this once in a lifetime mission.
What you will do
- Work with Fern’s leadership (product, marketing, operations, clinical) to define and translate the strategic vision to create robust, easy-to-use, and effective technology solutions for members, clients, and internal users of the Company.
- Develop and implement engineering and data science strategic plans to achieve product goals. This includes budgets, timelines, in-house and contracted staffing levels, and success metrics; then translate the plan to the Engineering team to support changing internal and external factors.
- Analyze current and future trends and needs and accurately assess functional responsibilities, competitive strengths, and vulnerabilities.
- Collaborate with Product and Clinical to define roadmaps and release plans that support Fern’s goals.
- Identify opportunities for new value creation and successful growth of the business.
- Participate as a member of the senior leadership team and present to the Board of Directors as needed.
- Lead the internal development, quality assurance, and technical operations for Fern.
- Manage employee performance by establishing clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against goals, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Manage the software, hardware, and security components of all development, staging, and production environments.
- Manage internal controls of the software development lifecycle, technical operations, and related functions.
- Direct activities so that products are developed on schedule, budget, and meet quality and security standards, cost/benefit objectives, and market demands.
- Create success metrics and provide analytics for every user group, including customers, patients, and internal operations.
- Maintain internal and external security of company data and intellectual property, ensure HIPAA compliance at all levels, and protect the Company from external or internal threats.
- Ensure continuous improvement of customer (external and internal) satisfaction through programs to reduce deviations, provide for on-time delivery of product and services sold, and meet customer quality and cost expectations.
Your experience should include
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- 10+ years architecting and building products from pre-launch through maturity
- Released (and maintained) 1-2 products to the market
- 7+ years building and maintaining consumer-facing digital product experiences in healthcare
- Experience with backend/platform engineering, scaling performance engineering, security
- Ability to hire and retain engineering talent
- Startup experience in key engineering leadership positions at multiple high-growth technology companies
- Experience with Atlassian, GitLab, AWS, iOS
- Experience with Android a plus
- Cloud-native development and DevOps/CI/CD
Extra points for experience with
- Computer vision and machine learning applications
- EHR and care management platform integrations
Generous benefits, including
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- Medical, dental, vision
- 401K match
- Gym reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Tuition reimbursement
If you're interested - we'd love to hear from you. No recruiters, please.